Rescue

Istak opted to wait for the captain of the starship. She decided to wait for him in the room where the doctor was held. Or at least they claimed that he was a legitimate doctor. She pressed a button hearing the sound of bone cracking. A faint, painful groan emit from the body with hands clenched. She couldn't believe what the traitors of the empire had told her. For all she knew, he was a fraud and a spy sent from star fleet to thwart their plans His cheeks were stained in tears while covered in burn marks and cuts along his face. His hands were bound to the table thanks to electrical installed stasis cuffs. His hands were nearly flattened but his phalanges moved despite the inconvenience. Romulans were astonishing under pressure and he wasn't a Romulan. Whatever he used to be, his body refused to give up moving. He could be formerly a Deltan.

Istak heard the sounds of distruptors being fired.

She carefully took out her disruptor.

Her men would come in and tell that the problem was neutralized in a few minutes.

The next task would be destroying the ship in orbit.

Perfect trap.

Luring a away team down surrounded by Romulans while consisting likely of the command team. It was highly likely, because captains tended to be hands on when it came to rescuing a member of their own. It was part of the stories about the Rapid Rescue Squad, Her eyes glanced over to the fraud with swollen eyes. What did he used to be? A engineer? A nurse? A security officer? But not a doctor. Because that would be too absurd that a prized physician would go into Romulan territory, willingly, just to save the lives of colonists. She played with her phaser alongside his foot that had long stopped bleeding. Toes nearly dangling off. She heard the weak fraud mutter a name.

"Jim. . ."

There had to be many people in Star Fleet who went by the name Jim.

"I love ya."

And it was likely that this 'Jim' was part of the rescue team.

"Jim is dead," Istak said.

What was it that drew people here to face their doom? Or their untimely demise. She had already terminated the life of several Vulcans-who-claimed-to-be-Romulans only here to see their relatives. She may have exterminated families with this. Perhaps the Praetor would understand her side of the story. He always did understand when it came to scenarios like ones that she justified. The empire ran on fear, practically, at least that is what she believed. The doors slowly slid open to reveal a group of figures but none of them had the head shape of a helmet. Some of them were short and a few were tall.

Spock stepped forward.

"Captain Spock of the USS Enterprise," Spock said. "Commander Istak, I highly recommend you surrender."

O----That is when it became perfectly clear. Spock, and James Tiberius Kirk were legends in the empire for thwarting. Captain Kirk was dead and she was facing the fine, clear logic of a Vulcan. Erroneous logic, that is. She heard that the captain had died due to being left behind by his command officers. Rumors went that if one cornered Spock with the lives of a village over his own, he would consider his own rather than their lives if there were a asteroid headed in the direction of the planet.

So be it.

She was not entirely sure that this man was part of the triumvirate: McCoy, Spock, and Kirk.

Because who would be that stupid to come here?

"No," Istak said. "I recommend you do that. I have the advantage."

"You have clearly lost your mind," Spock said. 

"No, I have not," Istak said.

"One, you are surrounded," Spock said. "two, what is left of your command is with us. Three, you are alone and holding a former star fleet officer hostage." He turned his head in the direction of Xon. "Mr Xon, what is the new regulations regarding that?"

"Penal colony for at least twelve years, three months, and thirty-two days," Xon said.

"I heard Romulans are not treated lightly," Spock said.

"I am not part of your agency," Istak raised her gun up

"True," Xon said. "but I am pretty sure the Preator wouldn't want a war to start by a compromised commander."

"And the praetor will gladly hand you over," Spock said. "you recall Dion Charvanek? His daughter will sway him. No matter who sponsors you, you will have to face the consequences of your actions."

Spock stepped aside dodging the distruptor blast. Pavel pressed the trigger firing back landing a shot into the woman's shoulder. Potax and the others fired back landing shots into her torso. If she had been intelligent she would have given them the doctor and surrendered to the rescue team. Leniency, at most. Blood came from the corner of her mouth as her grip on the disruptor slackened. She fell down landing on the ground with eyes hauntingly remaining open. Spock looked over to see that Pocet laid on the ground behind him dying in a pool of his blood. Spock had a apologetic expression on his face at first then turned away as other Romulans surrounded the passing. Spock walked around the woman's body then came to see the doctor had messy hair. His chest moving up and down, breathing, painfully. Spock could identify several injuries on the man's chest.

"Doctor?" Pavel said, feeling like a child again coming to the man's side.

There was a groan.

"You are going to be okay, Len," Pavel said. "we got the best in the fleet."

"Xon to Enterprise," Xon said, as Spock was  feeling overwhelmed himself looking down in the direction of the human. 

"Enterprise here," Hikaru was in the captain's chair.

Spock didn't hear what Xon said as he placed a hand on the parts of the doctor's face that were not cuts or bruised. Carefully, but gently. The mind meld was initiated between the two, but he saw  a familiar face and familiar hazel eyes looking back at him. They were eyes of sympathy. He could feel that one of Jim's hands were placed on the side of the doctors cheek. A smile on the man's face. Instead of feeling pain and anguish from the doctor, all the Vulcan felt was content. Smooth, light happy feelings. Not a care in the world could make him otherwise. He confirmed the doctor's identity in the meld but his neural networks were damaged by several accounts and a skilled healer would be needed to ease the repair process. He didn't know on the bridge, Uhura turned from her station. Silence filling the bridge except for the sounds of the stations. Hikaru looking over toward Uhura sharing the same feelings. He didn't know  Scotty was on the bridge  talking with Lieutenant Audri when he heard the news. Hope and a feeling of dread. Spock let go of the side of the man's face withdrawing his hand.

"Mr Xon," Spock said.

"Yes, captain?" Xon said.

"The cuffs must come off first before he is beamed up," Spock said.

"Understood," Xon said.

A part of Spock hoped that McCoy wouldn't remember what hell he went through. Together they tore the binds off with metallic sounds falling. Seeing the complete damage that had been done to his ankles and wrists. Seeing what horror by first hand what had been done to the human. Pavel walked away feeling sick to his stomach. Eventually, the group vanished in a haze of blue light.