Chapter One

— Melody Collins POV —

It's a sunny morning in my province-like city here in Millitren. I rested the side of my head on the cold stained glass of my grandpa's old blue car's window. I let out a sigh as it rolled down the street full of houses and shops I've known by heart ever since the day I lived in with my grandparents. I guess.

And unfortunately, it's the road that leads to the world's most widely known brain torturing house. High School. It should definitely be awarded an Oscar.

About a few minutes after the time I started to unknowingly stare outside, I heard grandpa pull the car's break and turn to me saying "Here we are." to get my attention back into the present.

Yep. Here we are. In school. The same, old, typical high school. The one where everyone would either walk their way to class with the usual unlimited chat about the popular kids, or just "chilling" on the lockers of somebody else. That, or bribing, *coughs* one-sidedly *coughs*, nerds to do that 4000 words history essay project given by some devil incarnated teachers in here. I mean what's the use if it doesn't even have anything to do with your future job? Except if you wish to be a history teacher, of course. But why give it to everyone?

I know I don't need that. I want to be an anonymous singer-songwriter, not a person who teaches history to children who ain't even interested or oppositely so enthusiastic about it that they weirdly nod to every word you say. Nope. Not gonna work on me.

My grandpa loudly cleared his throat to snap me out of my train of thoughts. Again.

Huh, chug-a-chug-a-choo-choo, train ride to California! Riders come aboard! We are taking off within a minute!

"Thanks for the ride grandpa." I said turning around to face him with an appreciative smile. He never gets tired of dropping me off to school and back home. Even if he's real busy for the day, he never really bothers. Actually, he insists.

"Nah, don't mind about it." he grinned, shaking it off. You see? "I'll always have time for my favorite grandchild."

"I'm your only grandchild!" I reminded him with a scoff with which he just laughed back at. "Well, thanks again." I gave him a side hug, since his body was facing the steering wheel. And he patted my back gently with the hand he had beside me. And my mind brought back the dream I had yesterday.

The crisp and cool breeze was caressing my tiny little body at about 4:20 in the morning. I shivered with cold as I ran my hands on the fluffy warm fur of my also tiny dog beside me.

As the sun was about to take its reign over the land, my legs took over my body and I ran to papa when he was about to ride on the backseat of his black car. The puppy was running behind me with her collar's bell ringing and sat beside me panting. She really needs to exercise, not that she's fat or anything.

Anyway, where were we?

Oh, yeah.

I was crying and I ran towards my father.

"Papa, please don't go." I pleaded hugging his legs. (I was small ok?) "Don't leave me." I cried, feeling the hot tears taking over my cheeks. I hated all the times when he has to go and finish his job. Especially when he goes abroad. And here he is. Going away. Again.

"Oh darling.." He said with sadness in his voice. I heard footsteps behind me and felt a hand rest gently on my shoulders.

"Honey, he'll be back." a sad motherly voice said. I looked back to see that it was my mother judging by her auburn hair. But her face was blurry like it was reflected on a fogged mirror. Weird. My dad's face is crystal clear but her's isn't.