Chapter Two "Sever"

(EDITED)

"I still don't understand why Schuyler gets the enchanted armor." Joshua grumbled, slicing through the silence. He had his arms crossed over his chest and he looked discontented. Joshua was never satisfied with what he had, always jealous of what I had.

We were currently in Christian's van, heading towards our mission, whatever that was. Christian had still not informed us as to what task we were to be completing.

"You understand completely, you just can't seem to accept the fact that I, a woman, do all the fighting." I smirked. Although when it came to my armor, Joshua should be envious of it. Christian never outright admitted to what the mysterious golden thread that weaved through the black fabric was, but considering that it made the shirt impenetrable there was only one thing I could think of that it could be. Rapunzel's hair, a rare plant which can be harvested and made into cloth. It has automatic healing capabilities and it is said to be indestructible. Although, with the plant being as rare as it was I had to question as to where Christian was able to obtain it, and why he chose to give it to me.

"You also have to remember that you prefer the gun, while Schuyler favors the knife and hand to hand combat." Christian commented as he made a sharp right turn. We were on the edge of town now.

"Christian, why are we all together?" Joshua asked, simply to change the subject but he was giving me what I wanted. I had been wanting to question Christian from the beginning, but I was biding my time knowing that Joshua would do it for me.

"We are hunting something rare tonight, which calls for all of us to be together. As you know, wolves typically travel alone, but that was not always the case. There are some wolves that choose to be in what is called packs. Within the pack exists a hierarchy; in charge is the Alpha. The Alpha can be considered the father of the pack, he provides protection and he sets the rules for the entire pack. He is the strangest wolf and commonly he has been bred and trained to be the most successful leader possible. Second to the Alpha, is the Beta. He is the most trusted wolf, and is usually the person the Alpha confides in. The Beta is also directly in charge of what is called the Enforcers. The Enforcers are highly trained wolves who act as the police of the pack, taking care of the pack and dealing out the punishment as needed. The only wolves stronger than the Enforcers are the Alpha and Beta. The rest of the pack is filled with wolves of various skills and various ages."

"You are telling us this because we are hunting a pack tonight, correct?" I asked, knowing that Christian would not give us useless information.

"Yes." He stated simply.

"Ok," I said, my mind automatically working on a plan. "To take them down, who do we attack first? I would assume the Alpha." If you took out the head, the body would be soon to follow, or at least that was how I viewed it.

"I understand what you are thinking, but getting to the Alpha is not that easy. You will not see him first, but rather you have to lure him out. The first you should be approached by would be the Enforcers as they patrol the land. It is key to not attack these Enforcers, because they will take you to the Alpha as long as you give them a false sense of security and with the way you hunt that is perfect for this mission. Which is why you will be the one to take down the Alpha. Once you take him down, the wolves will fall into chaos. Joshua and I will handle the rest of the wolves, but you will get out of there as soon as possible. The wolves will want you dead for killing their leader so you can not linger in the battlefield." Christian warned me. That was what made me realize that this would be much different than more normal hunts, in this instance my life was actually on the line.