Part 27

That night, Emma and the boys come home around eight. "How was work?" I ask from the kitchen.

"It was good," Emma smiles. "Sorry we didn't say goodbye before leaving. You guys were sleeping so soundly."

"Y-Yea?" I blus, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Yes," Toni chuckles and pats my back. "I brought some churros home."

"Thanks, Toni."

"Welcome home," Matthias walks into the kitchen.

"What the hell?!" Abel almost drops the mug he had in his hands. "You're walking?!"

"Oh, right. I forgot to tell you." Matthias lifts his foot into the air and plants it on Abel's chest. "I can walk again."

"I can see that," Abel eyes Matthias' foot in disgust. "Now remove your foot from me or I will shoot it off."

"I love you, too, Abel," Matthias winks playfully, draping his arms around the Dutch's torso and pulling him down into a dip. "I always have." The Dane slowly moves in for a kiss, and Abel pulls a knife from his pocket and places it against Matthias' throat.

"Let me go, now."

"Ok, ok. I was joking." Matthias pulls him up and released him, leaving a lingering finger on Abel's cheek.

"Dane."

"I'm done, I swear!" Matthias snickers.

Emma and I exchange looks, and we shake our heads. "Abel, do you want to eat dinner with us?"

"I, um, I want to shower before I do anything. Just eat without me."

"O-Ok..."

We all watch him leave before Emma turns to me, rubbing her eyes. "(Name), my eyes have been bothering me. I keep seeing shadows and wiggly lines, and my vision gets blurry a lot. Do you think I need glasses?"

"M-Maybe," I sharply turn my attention back to the plate of food I had been making. "You're probably overworking them."

"You can overwork your eyes?"

"PSH, of course," Matthias leans his back against the counter next to me. "You can overwork everything. Right, (Name)?" He not-so-subtly winks at me.

"Yea," I roll my eyes.

After dinner, Emma and Toni retreated to the basement to play Super Smash Bros. "I'm going to go check on my brothers," Matthias yells from the doorway as he pulls his jacket over his shoulders.

"Ok, make sure to invite them."

"Wow. No be safe, or I'll miss you?"

"Be safe," I say lazily. "I'll miss you."

"Better than nothing," he smiles and kisses my hair. "When I get home, I expect a cuddle session."

"Toni loves to cuddle."

"(Name), no."

"Goodbye, Matthias!"

I listen to the door cream shut, and I run to the bathroom, where Abel has been hiding for the past hour.

"Abel, open the door."

"No. Go away."

"Now!" I slam my fist on the door, and it swings open. Abel reaches out and catches my wrist.

"Shut up! They'll get suspicious."

I take the opportunity to push Abel into his room. "What were you doing?"

"Nothing," he smiles.

I grab his cheek and pull it slightly, "Don't lie to me!"

"Everything's ok. Honest."

"Abel, I can tell it's eating you alive."

His pale, green eyes stare at me before turning away sharply. "You're right. I'm so scared."

"When are you going to tell-"

"I'm not."

"You need to!"

"I can't do it..."

"She complained about her eyes, earlier. She deserves to know, Abel! This will effect her more than anyone!"

"(Name), you have no idea how hard it is to tell someone that they're dying. Especially if it's someone you've known for most of your life."

My heart stops. "... Dying? You said she just had cancer in her eyes."

"It will spread unless they remove her eyes," he sits on his bed and buries his head in his hands. "She's so weak, (Name). I'm afraid of the surgery failing and I might lose her for real."

"We'll support you," I sit next to him and hug him tightly. "You need to tell her, though."

"I will. I know I have to, but I'm so scared."

"I'll sit with you if that would help you."

"I appreciate it, but I think it would be best if it was just us."

"I understand. Shall I go get her?"

"Yes, please." I stand and walk to the door, opening it. "(Name)?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you. Again."

"Of course, Abel. You're my friend, and I care about you. I'll always be here for you."