Part 13

I avoid doing anything even considered cute or romantic with Toni for the next hour. He wanted to go roller skating: I rejected the idea. He wanted to push me on the swing some more: I just stated I wasn't up for it.

"Why don't you want to do anything with me?" He asks, tilting his head in suspicion.

"No reason," I whisper.

"Tell me, (Name)." He grabs my shoulders, and I look at him with tears in my eyes.

"I'm hurt, Toni."

His eyes open wide, and his hands leave my shoulders. "I-I..."

"I'm going home," I turn my back to him, and start my walk back home. He doesn't try to stop me, but I hear him softly call my name.

"(Name)..."

Don't turn around.

"I am so sorry." When those words reach my ears, I dart away. I couldn't hold in my sobs any more, and I just ran. I didn't know where I was going, but I refused to go back. "I hate everything!" I scream. The people around me stare, but none make a move to talk to me.

"What are you doing here?" A voice suddenly asks. My gaze moves up, and meets a green pair.

"Abel..." I hide my eyes with my arm. He drops the groceries that he had been carrying, and embraces me tightly.

"What happened?"

"T-Toni was acting the whole time."

He stays silent for a second before answering. "I know."

"You knew?"

"I asked him to help us," he says sympathetically. "I didn't know that you would fall for him."

"I-I didn't fall..." My heart skips a beat, but I slap my cheeks furiously. "No! My heart belongs to Matthias, and that's that. I don't care how much he dislikes me, or how he'll never see me as a woman. I love him, and as long as I can remain by his side, it doesn't matter to me..."

"You say that, but I know you're just trying to be strong," Abel sighs, stroking my hair. "I think you should just tell Matthias directly."

"He doesn't get it!" I insist, my voice cracking in desperation. "He's my oblivious best friend. I know this stuff."

"Have you tried?"

"Many times!" I gently pull away from Abel, who placed two fingers on the bridge of his nose.

"Instead of making him jealous, why not find a way to make him understand how you feel?"

"T-That's..." I know he's right. But, I can't bring myself to face another friendzone rejection. "I can't."

"Why?"

"It's hard to be rejected, Abel. I hate it so much. I just want to live happily ever after."

"There are no happily ever afters in real life, (Name)," he chuckles.

"There are too many ups and downs!"

"Without the ups and downs, you would be dead."

"What?"

He shakes his head with a cute smile. "Nothing. I'm sure you'll come to understand what I mean soon enough. Just think about it." He grabs my hand, picks up the groceries, and brings me to the car. "I'll drive us home. Get in."

I do as he says, his words still weighing heavily on my heart.

Without the ups and downs, you would be dead.