Part 21

Although Matthias' legs were still paralyzed, the doctors let him return home. "I'm home, bitches!" Matthias smiles brightly as I open the door.

I smack him upside the head, and he pouts. Emma runs to greet him, "Welcome home!" She wraps him up in her arms tightly, and he hugs her back.

"Thanks."

She stands, sensing his discomfort. "O-Oh, well, I'll go start on dinner." She walks into the kitchen, her hands clenched into fists. Toni walks up to him slowly, a small smile on his lips. They fist pump, and he follows after Emma.

"What happened between you two?" I ask, pushing him to his room.

"I may or may not have punched him in the jaw."

"Matthias!"

"I know, I know. He seems to have forgiven me, though!"

"You still need to make it up to him."

"WHY?!"

"Because he's my brother."

"Wait, for real?"

"No."

"Thank God! I'd rather not see him at Christmas every year."

"What?" I tilt my head, opening the door to his room.

"Well, we're going to get married someday. You'll want to spend the holidays with your family, won't you?" I stop in my tracks, my heart pounding. I lean down and wrap my arms around his shoulders, burying my face in the crook of his neck. "What is it?" He strokes my hair.

"I'm just really happy..."

"Well, just don't cry. I don't know what to do when you cry."

"All you have to do is hold me," I whisper, biting my lip to hold back the tears.

He reaches around and pulls me so I'm standing in front of him. "I can't do much while I'm in this wheelchair, but I can and will hug you until you can smile again." He places his hand on the small of my back, and he pulls my to his chest. Smelling the scent of his cologne while being wrapped in his arms brings the tears. I cry into his shoulder, and he strokes my back.

"Matthias, I love you."

"I love you, too," he kisses my hair. "You're the only girl for me."

"I'm glad to hear that."

We hugged for a while, then he let me go, and pushed his wheelchair to the window. "The stupid leaves are covering our secret circle."

"I completely forgot about that," I whisper, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Wait."

"What?"

"Isn't it a good thing that the secret circle is covered up?"

He thinks for a second, then places his hand on mine and says with a serious face, "You're a genius."

"I know!"

Later that night, Emma had made nachos for all of us. We were all sitting on the couch, Emma and Toni on one end, me on the other, and Matthias next to me in his wheelchair. "Where's Abel?"

"He's been out all day," Emma looks at me worriedly. "I'm worried about him."

"He said he wanted to find a job," Toni joins in, taking a sip of his wine.

"I thought he wanted to go back to Europe," I whisper, lightly swirling my drink in my cup.

"I thought so, too," Emma sighs.

"Isn't it a good thing you're staying, then? You can finish college," Matthias gives her a thumbs up.

Emma hides her face in her hands, "I don't want him to sacrifice his happiness for me!"

Toni puts a hand on her shoulder, "I'm sorry, Emma." She slowly nods in response, and Toni stands and picks her up princess style. "Let me bring you to your room. We can talk about it."

Matthias and I watch as he walks to her room, her body trembling in his arms. "That was a little awkward," I whisper to Matthias.

"Yea," he replies, his gaze completely fixed on the nachos on the table. He had a difficult time getting the meat and green onions on his chip.

"You idiot," I laugh, grabbing a chip and pushing the items onto his.

He stares at me in blank surprise. "Now this is the kind of support I need in a relationship." I tilt my head, utterly confused. He ruffles my hair, and laughs. "Nevermind, min skat."

"Min skat?" I mimic the words to the best of my ability.

"It's basically my treasure in Danish," he winks. "I know this because I speak Danish."

"I know, Matthias. We've been friends for over thirteen years."

His thoughts seem to come to a screeching halt, and he turns to me. "Has it really been that long?"

"Yes, Matthias. We met when I was eight, and you were about to turn nine."

"Really?"

I facepalm, "How old are you, Matthias?"

"Twenty two."

"What is twenty two minus nine?"

"... Thirteen."

"There you go. Wait. You're in college! Why did you have to think about that so much?"

"I'm a cooking major. I don't screw with math."

I laugh and rest my head on his shoulder. "Tell me something I don't know."