The couch faced a relatively large television and apart from a simple wall clock, there were no other decorations around the house. Not a photo frame, a hook, a vase or anything remotely decorative. A door was left ajar, and I assumed that it would lead to Heath's bedroom. Apart from that door, I could make out no other rooms. Strange. The house should be the same floor size as Jared's apartment, at least one storey of it. Jared had space for a den and a spare bed room on the first floor, apart from the kitchen area and the living room. So where was all the space lost to here? Maybe he has expanded the space for his room and it took up both the space of the den and the bedroom.

Heath cleared his throat beside me and I spun around to face him.

Heath scratched at his head awkwardly, before he crossed his arms, "That was boss on the phone. He said you would be staying here for a couple of days." Heath glanced at my backpack, "Or as long as you need. I don't have any issues with you staying, but I don't have a spare room like boss does, this is a one-storey, one-level apartment unlike his penthouse, so if you don't mind, you can have my bed, I'll sleep out here."

I shook my head, "The couch is more than enough for me. It's a big couch." I set my backpack down on the floor beside the couch, "Thanks, Heath." I said gratefully. I don't know where else I could go if Heath didn't offer me his couch. I hate to think that I'll have to shamelessly go back upstairs to Jared's house if I Heath didn't let me stay. I mean, I always have the third option: to run out of this building, to get gunned down by Jared someday. I assume I won't be as resourceful as I'd like to keep myself from being caught by Jared.

"Take my room. Come on, I'll show you." Heath gestured as he reached for my backpack, but my hands shot out to stop him.

I shook my head stubbornly, "I'm good here, Heath, really." I bit the inside of my mouth, "You are already doing so much for me by letting me stay here. I cannot take your bedroom too. I'll be comfortable here, on the couch, if you don't mind." My voice broke a bit as I spoke, charged by all the emotions that was swirling within me from my conversation with Jared earlier.

Heath lingered for a second, before he backed away. He looked around the living room at the couch, before he sighed, "I won't fight you tonight, but we'll talk about the arrangements tomorrow. I'll get clean sheets and a spare duvet."

I shook my head quickly, "That's too much trouble. Forget it, I'll be fine with just the couch. You already have a fleece laying there." I didn't want to be too much of a hassle since I've just arrived unannounced and he probably would have said no if Jared didn't talk to him.

He chuckled, "Boss would have my head for letting you sleep on a dirty couch. Just hang on alright?" He said, disappearing into the only other door in the house.

Heath returned in no time, this time clothed in a shirt, with a stack of sheets in his arms. I gulped, wondering if it was wrong that I was actually comfortable when Heath was half naked.

"Sorry about this, really." I murmured, feeling guilty about everything as I wrapped my arms around myself.

"Don't apologise." Heath said as he got to fitting the sheets around the couch. I hurried to help him and he smiled at me, "As you can probably tell, I renovated this place quite a bit. Unfortunately, it also means that the only bathroom in this apartment is in my bedroom, so you'll have to use that. You can feel free to come in and out of the room, there's no problem. I will leave the door open."

I felt even more like an intruder, knowing that I will have to invade into his private space in order to use the washroom. It all felt like a really bad idea to stay here, "Sorry."

"Like I said, don't apologise." Heath patted my hand as he walked past me to get the duvet. With one swift motion, he spread the duvet across the couch neatly, "You can treat this place as your own. Don't worry about it."