XII. The Division Line

"Keith!" Shiro cried out, grabbing his shoulder and pulling him behind a tree. He slammed against it and held his breath as a Galra patrol walked right next to him, guns up and in position.
"Fuck. Sorry." He breathed, trying to calm his beating heart. "I think that glass is cutting my spine."
Hunk sighed, blowing a piece of hair out of his face and readjusting his helmet. "We get it, it hurts. Now stop talking and start moving. We've got a paladin to save."
Keith raised an eyebrow and turned back to the tree. He peered around the edge of it, and when he saw nothing, motioned to the other to follow him. One by one, they ducked behind tree trunks and dodged incoming patrols that had been warned about the paladins on the planet.
Hours passed, and as they grew closer, Keith could finally begin to hear the blue paladin's voice, and before he knew it, Lance was in sight, tied against a tree, and...
Wait, why was he holding a gun?
Keith tried to lunge foward, but Shiro held his shoulders.
"Keith." He hissed. "This is obviously a trap! Stop squirming!"
"There's no one fucking here, Shiro!" He growled. "Get the hell off of me!"
He managed to get out of Hunk and Shiro's grip, and raced over to Lance, who seemed more scared than relieved to see him.
Lance shivered, and Keith noticed that his left hand was bruised and misshapen, like it had been dislocated and messily put back into place. He shivered, taking in his surroundings before running towards Lance.
"Lance! You're okay! I-"
Lance didn't say a word, and held the gun up to Keith.
"L-Lance?"

"Don't come any closer!" Lance screamed, tears swimming down his bruised face. His eyes were bloodshot, making them appear even bluer than usual. It reminded him of the day they'd shared a kiss. The day that everything changed.

"Get away, Keith! I-It's a t-trap! You have to leave.. now.. or.. you're-you're gonna get..."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"S-shut up! I'm in charge h-here, a-and if you don't... leave, I'm g-gonna-" he held the gun up to his head and sobbed, fingers shaking on the trigger.

"Stop! No!" He tried to step closer, but Lance just made his grip on the gun tighter. It was clear Lance was set up to this, and if he moved any closer, that gun would go off.

"Lance.. don't..." Keith breathed, shaking. "I know you don't want to do this."

"How? How do you know?" Lance cried out, closing his eyes. "I have nothing anymore, Keith. I have absolutely nothing to live for." He paused, legs shaking. "We're all going to die before we're twenty, Keith. Our home planet is being destroyed and everyone we know and love is going to die thinking that our bodies were lost in space! I want more than anything to-to go back to Earth, Keith. But we can't, because b-by now.. it's gone."

Keith tried to stay calm. "It's not gone, Lance. We're so close to defeating Zarkon, don't you remember?" He paused. "You do have something to live for."

"Remind me of what that is, I-I seemed to have f-forgotten!"

Keith sighed. "You told me you wanted to see the cherry blossoms bloom in Japan if we ever get to go back to Earth. You told Pidge how you wanted to get a job, grow a mustache. You even showed Allura how interesting technology is, and how you wanted to do that. You said you wanted to make the world a better place, Lance. You can't do that if you're dead."

Lance choked. "I-It doesn't matter! I have t-to do this. Voltron is b-better off without a blue lion.. anyways..." he mumbled something before placing the gun against the side of his head and pulled the trigger.

"Lance, no!" Keith lunged foward, lashing out at Lance's hand, and shoving until he released the gun. It smashed onto the ground, and Keith lay sprawled out next to it, arm still outreached. He groaned, feeling his shoulder twitch, and turned on his side.
Keith turned to see Lance with a small, golden bullet glinting in the side of his arm. Keith almost cried out in relief that it didn't his his head, and attempted to contain Lance as he cried and yelled for help, which wasn't hard, considering he was wrapped around the base for a tree.
Without thinkink, he snapped his helmet on.
"Pidge! Pidge, Hunk! Anyone!"
It buzzed quietly.
"Keith? Is that you?"

"Pidge! I've got Lance!"

"Fuck yes! Are there any Galra around you?"

"No, but Hunk and Shiro are gone."

"They ran back to the yellow lion to go get help. They were on their way here, but they haven't gotten here yet." She cleared her throat. "Is he alive?"

"Barely." He grunted. "He was totally unguarded."

"What?!"

"I think they had him on some kind of... drug."

"What makes you think so?!"

"He tried to shoot himself."

"Shut the hell up!"

"I'm serious! I knocked it away from him, but he shot himself in the arm! Hurry the fuck up, get help, get the lion, get something! He's losing a lot of blood!"

"Okay, okay," Keith heard fumbling in the background. "I got your coordinates. Hunk and Shiro will need there soon."

"Hurry the fuck up!"

"I'm going, asshat!"