Pure At Heart (12) Reactions and Regrets

Start from the beginning

"You're not that kind of girl Hamna", he said. "You're worst than that." I wiped my tears away as I sat down on the bed. How am I going to get him to love me again?

Just as I was about to say something, he got up and picked me up by my arm. A quiet 'ow' escaped my lips as I stood in front of him, face-to-face.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he said. I looked down. "I just told you why-

"You couldn't tell me you and Dylan were engaged? I told you everything about me... why didn't you?" he was filled with rage. I furrowed my brows.

"Engaged? I wasn't engaged to him", I said. He looked away making a 'what do you mean no' face.

"I know you're going to keep lying to hide your bad side, but i dont care, ok? I, atleast, didn't live in the same house with her", he spoke in a quiet yet firm tone.

"Zayd I swear. I am not lying. I-

"You used to love him!" he shouted, cutting me off. I shook my head in disbelief. "No... I never loved him. I didn't love him. It wasn't love. You dont call that love.. Please dont say that", my head started to hurt.

"Then what is love?" he asked. I looked at him. "Love is when you can't forget someone as quickly as I forgot him. There's a huge difference between loving someone and liking someone Zayd", I explained.

He stared at me for a while and then walked outside, leaving me alone. My headache got worst and the same nauseous feeling came back. I sat down and cried. I cried until my eyes started to burn. Zayd hated me. He hated me for something I didn't even do. My husband hated me. Everything was over now. Everything.

At night we had a dinner to go to, so Zayd came in the bedroom to get his clothes. He had been out of the room all day.

"My mom says we have to leave in an hour. You should get ready", he said, as he got his clothes out from the closet. I looked up, my eyes red from crying. I stopped him by his hand when he was about to get out. He looked at me.

"Zayd you hate me for the wrong thing. Please let me explain. Let me talk", I pleaded.

"There's nothing left to explain", he said and opened the door but I closed it. I looked him in the eyes when he looked at me. "Zayd, Dylan is lying. Please let me explain. Please, Zayd Please", I weeped. He jerked his arm away and looked away. "What do you want to lie about now?" he said.

I wiped my tears. "Dylan and I never had any kind of relationship. Yes, I used to like him. And because of the same reason, i decided to leave for New Jersey with him. I was completely unaware of what the future held for me. I didn't know Dylan was a bad guy. He tricked me into thinking he liked me back and took me to a really dark warehouse. He and Maryan told me they were going to sell me to Africa for ten thousand dollars. Somehow i managed to get away from them and got them arrested but even then they didn't stop. When they were finally out of jail, they spread a rumor in my town that Dylan and I had a sexual contact and I was about to be the mother of his baby. I talked to my school's discipline teacher and cleared up the rumor. It was then found out that Dylan and Maryan had done this to 200 girls in the school. He and Maryan were then kicked out of school and Dylan was ordered to never apply for any other job or they would deport him. All that had happened had such a big impact on our lives, that even after two years I couldn't forget all that had happened. Which is why my dad searched a job somewhere outside of Pittsburgh, and that is why we moved to New York. But even here, that night still gives me the creeps", I finished talking. Zayd stood still as he tried to take all of it in.

"And if you hate me now, go ahead. You know the real story now. I deserve hate even for what I did do. I'm ashamed and that is the reason I didn't tell you up till now", I said, staring at him. His face was expressionless and he wasn't even blinking. He looked at me and then at his hands.