Chapter 12

Angela's uncle.

It was like ice water had been poured all over me and the world was crumbling beneath my feet.

He dropped the paper bag and the bottle of alcohol inside it smashed. I reached for my phone in my pocket but he grabbed my neck with both of his large hands. He lifted me off the floor and shook me while his grip tightened.

"WHERE IS MY NIECE!" he screamed. I was shaking and I couldn't breathe. I tried to peel his hands away but he was too strong.

"HELP!" I cried. The door was still open so the neighbours could hear me.

"ANSWER ME!" He threw me onto the floor. I hit my head on the tiles. I felt everything go fuzzy.

He jumped on top of me and started punching with all the strength he had. I felt my nose bleed and my lip split. I tasted blood and it was hard to open my eyes. He stood up and started kicking at my rib cage.

"P-please," I attempted to say," s-s-stop." It came out like a whisper. He continued kicking until he heard a snap. I was in excruciating pain, but I was so disorientated that it didn't hurt as much.

"WHERE IS SHE!" he screamed, over and over. His words got softer and softer. I felt everything around me darken. I saw the ambulance lights flashing and the police struggling to handcuff Angela's uncle as I tried to stay awake.

Paramedics came in and started their process. They spoke to me but I couldn't hear anything other than the loud ringing.

Before I knew it I was in the hospital. Everyone was rushing around in panic. I must've been beaten pretty bad.

I could see my mom, May and Adrian trying to get into the room so they could see me. They all looked so worried.

Eventually the doctors left the room and went to talk to the three of them outside.

My eyes were still blurry but I could see their hearts sink and their eyes tear. Yeah, I was going to die.

One by one, they each came in and held my hand. I stared straight ahead and kept silent.

My mom came in first, apologising for failing as a mother. She told me she loved me and left.

Next was May. She gave me a long speech about our 15 year friendship and how she would never find another best friend like me.

Last was Adrian. He was scared. He didn't know whether I would want him there or not, but I did.

He sat down and took my hand. "Lyra... you are still the most beautiful girl I have ever met." He started crying. "You are still the only girl that has ever made me feel vulnerable and special and loved." He brought my hand up to his lips and kissed it. "I really messed up. I know that you will never forgive me for what I did, but I just couldn't lose you."

He was right; I wouldn't ever forgive him.

"You drive me insane, Lyra White!" he chuckled. "I will always regret how we ended everything. I just want you to know that I will always love you."

I gathered all of my strength to squeeze his hand, open my eyes and turn my head to him.

"I love you, Adrian."

His eyes glimmered; that quick, painful glimmer of hope, and then it was gone.

I saw him smile as my surroundings turned white. My memories throughout life flashed everywhere around me. They were only happy memories. I looked ahead and I saw her.

The Girl With Blue Hair.

"Arabella?" I called.

She walked up to me and the closer she got, the clearer she became.

"I'm so sorry." I said. She held up a hand to silence me.

"No, Lyra. I want you to leave in peace. I'm only here to say thank you." she said. Her voice was sweet and calm.

"Thank you?" I questioned.

"You may have been too late to save me, but you saved my sister. For that, I thank you." she smiled and began to fade away.

I reached for her, trying to keep her in place. "Don't go! I want to talk to you!"

But she was gone.

As were my memories.

Everything was fading until it was black, like the end of the movie. It was the end. I felt as light as wind, like I was floating around in the world.

I was gone.

I was free.