Chapter 9

I sat my mom down on her bed and she just kept staring at the dressing table. She still hadn't touched the ring.

"Mom, you can't do this!" I shouted. "Yes, he left us! Yes, he's gone! And he's not coming back! We have to move on!"

She turned her head to look at me. She didn't say anything.

"Why don't you take a shower. Then, open the curtains and make the bed. Go out with your friends! Talk about all these feelings you're refusing to dismiss! Just don't do this in front of that little girl! There's still hope for her." I said. I was almost disgusted from her behaviour, but I understood that she still loved my dad. I still loved my dad.

Angela was right; he didn't love us anymore.

I walked back to my room to find Angela dressed in one of my oldest shirts and skirt.

"I think we're ready to go!" May cried.

Angela was bouncing off the walls in excitement. We drove to the shops in May's car and bought a whole lot of clothes for Angela.

"You're new parents will take care of school and books." May said. "We could get you some things for your room if you want?"

"I'm don't want anything else, May. Thank you. This was really fun!" Angela said.

Seeing her smile made me so happy. I could see the hope shining in her. She was going to have a better life.

May and I had organised the paperwork when Angela went to bed that night. We would meet the parents the next day. If they were ready, they would take her then.

"There we go!" announced May, tossing the last pile of papers onto the table.

"All done!" I cried, giving her a high five. We laughed.

My phone went off. I quickly checked it to see a message from Adrian.

You weren't at school today.

Yes, I am quite aware of my whereabouts.

I was still upset that he showed up to the memorial.

I miss you, Lyra.

Well, you should've thought about that before you became violent. How do you even live with yourself?

I put my phone face down onto the table and pretended not to hear the message coming through.

"He's still bothering you?" May asked.

I nodded. "I would forgive him but this mistake was unacceptable."

***

May went home and I joined Angela for some sleep.

I was excited for her; she was finally going to have a good home. I was worried that she wouldn't trust the parents or that she would be scared. It was for the best, though.

I could imagine her in her school uniform, accepting certificates and medals and trophies. And I saw her sister, sitting in the front row, clapping madly with pride.

"Lyra?" Angela whispered sleepily.

"Did I wake you? Sorry, go back to bed." I said.

"Promise me that, when I leave, you won't make yourself bleed like Bella did." 

"I promise." I said, kissing her forehead.

I took a look at my phone one last time before I slept. I read Adrian's message.

I am trying my hardest,okay! What happened was a freak accident!

No, Adrian, you are the freak. The unstable freak. I replied.

I honestly felt bad. It was rude to say that, but it was true.

I put my phone down and closed my eyes, thinking about Adrian and what happened to Arabella that day.