Chapter 2

I got home late; really late.

I was tired and traumatised from what I had seen.

My mom was sitting anxiously at the dining room table, awaiting my arrival.

As soon as I opened the door, she sprang to her feet, knocking the chair over in rage.

"Lyra Rebecca White! Where have you been? Do you have any idea what time it is?!" she roared.

I stared at her, then walked into the kitchen. She followed. I opened the fridge and she slammed it shut.

"Don't you think I'll let you eat until you explain yourself!"

"Someone died, Mom! Someone committed suicide and the police had to interview the witnesses!" I shouted.

She stumbled back slightly. I could tell she was not expecting such an answer.

"Honey, I'm-"

"Save it. I've had a long day and I just want to go to bed." I interrupted. Quickly, I grabbed a can of Coke from the fridge and ran upstairs to my bedroom.

I dropped my bag off at my desk and sat down on my bed, reflecting on what had happened that day.

Don't do this!

No, I couldn't live with myself!

Please put the gun DOWN!

BOOM!

I jumped as the gunshot echoed through my head as if I had heard it just seconds ago. The blood; the screams; they were all flashing images and sounds in my head.

I opened the can and took a long sip, taking my phone out of my pocket.

326  Unread Messages from 40 Chats

As I'd guessed, the whole school was trying to contact me to find out what happened in that classroom.

I swiped away the notification and went straight to my contacts and hesitantly dialed Adrian.

"Hello?" he sounded groggy.

"Adrian, are you okay?"

"Lyra, we saw someone die today; of course I'm not okay!" he shouted.

"Okay, okay! There's no need to get worked up. We both went through a lot today and we just need some rest. We can just forget it happened." I said, rubbing my temple with my other hand.

"Rest? Forget it happened? Lyra, do you realise what's going to happen?" Adrian laughed hysterically.

I did.

Every student would be questioning me and every police officer would need my co-operation. Every journalist's microphone would be in my face and every newspaper would have the story on the front page.

"Why are you so worried?! No body even knows you were there!" I shouted, the tears threatening to fall with every word.

Adrian went quiet.

"Good night, Lyra." And he put the phone down.

I stood up and threw my phone at the wall. My hands started to shake and my breath quickened. My heart was pounding harder and harder.

Please don't!

BOOM!

I fell to the floor and began sobbing into the corner of my bed.

The worst part was watching the life drain from her eyes.