Chapter 5

I spent so much time reading and analysing Arabella's poetry. She went through hell, but her heart was still gold.

She was broken. She was alone. I regretted never becoming her friend.

She and her sister only had each other. I could've been there for her. I was not going to let her go unnoticed.

***

My father was leaving us.

My mother was a mess.

My ex was unstable.

But I still got out of bed that Sunday morning.

I slipped on a black dress that went down to my knees with stockings and a pair of heels. I tied my hair into a bun.

"This is how people dress to funerals, right?" I asked myself in front of the mirror.

My mom drove me to school but waited in the parking lot. She wasn't ready to face society.

I made my way to the hall, worried at the silence of the school. I walked into the hall to see half of it seated with people and a picture of Arabella projected onto the screens.

I took a seat right at the back. I checked my phone to text May.

"There's barely anyone here. Are you sure you sent the message to everyone?"

"Positive :( People didn't show?"

"Maybe they're still coming. Where are you?"

"Front row. You?"

"Back row."

"Crap! Ly, look to your right"

I looked up and saw the back of Adrian's head. I looked forward to see May giving me an uncomfortable face. I was livid.

The principal walked onto the stage and the crowd fell silent. He cleared his throat and spoke into the mic.

"Good morning, everyone. Thank you all for joining us today." He watched the audience. "Today we are moarning the death of a student. Her name was... Arabelle?"

I chuckled in disbelief. Everyone heard me. They all turned to me and the principal glared.

"Miss White, do you find this funny?" he asked. Everyone waited for my response.

I stood up and smiled. "Yes. I find it funny that we never paid attention to such an amazing person. I find it hilarious that a girl died but you haven't even bothered to learn her name!" I shouted. "I find it funny that no one was there for her."

I stared into the eyes of the girl on the screen. My heart shattered into a million pieces. "Such a beautiful soul. We never appreciated her for the caring person she was. She wasn't supposed to leave us. She's supposed to be here." I was crying again.

Silence.

"You don't even have anything to say! Hell, half of the school didn't pitch! They didn't care about her while she was alive, so why care about her while she's dead?!" I screamed. "I'll admit that I didn't talk to her before, but I watched this innocent girl die and I made an effort to be there for her, alive or not! Open your eyes, people; or else the amount of memorials we have will increase."

Still, no one said anything.

"Her name was Arabella Justice; a poet and loving sister." I stated, then sat down to allow the memorial to proceed.

***

After the memorial, everyone went to the cafeteria for snacks and tea. Most people avoided talking to me in fear that I'd start ranting again.

May and I were getting tea when Adrian walked up to me.

"Can we talk alone... please?" he asked. May eyed me nervously.

"It's fine. I need to talk to him, anyway." I said.

We made out way to the hallway. He put his hands in the pockets of his blazer. He was nervous.

"Lyra, I'm so-"

"What are you doing here?" I interrupted. He stood in shock. "You have no reason to be here. You shouldn't be here."

"It was the least I could do!" he said.

"Oh, really? You know what, I'm suprised you didn't run away because you always seem to run away!" I whispered shouted.

"Lyra, just calm down." He placed his hands on my shoulders. I glared at him. "It was a mistake. I was being stupid."

"Being stupid cost a life." I said.

"She killed herself." Adrian stated.

"No! No, she didn't; and you know that!" I pushed him aside to head back to May.

On my way, a young girl came up to me. She had blonde hair and brown, bloodshot eyes.

"Hello, miss. I'm Angela. Thank you for sticking up for my sister." she whispered.

"You're her sister." I stated, as I noticed the bruises on her arms and legs. She was so small and weak. There was no way she could've fought off her uncle.

Angela nodded.

"Sweetheart, I'm going to ask you something, and you have to tell me the truth." She stared at me. "Does your uncle hurt you?"

She didn't want to answer. She was shivering in fear. "Y-yes. Please don't tell him I told you; he'll kill me."

Angela was in danger. This was my chance to save her; to help at least one of these sisters.

If I could get myself out of an abusive relationship, I could get Angela out of one.