The beginning of the end (47)

Start from the beginning

"Ugh! Since we already know where he lives, I'll wait to approach him when he's on the way, this way it's safer, I don't want to be in the vicinity."

"Well, it's your call, I'd approach him even inside his bathroom if I had to." She said, earning a laugh from me.

"Oh my God, you're helpless!"

"But why do you want to approach him really?"

"I'm going to offer him protection, and a very reduced jail time, if he hands over his partners."

"That's a little risky, don't you think?" She asked.

I got up and started pacing back and forth, thinking about the myriad of things that could go wrong with this approach. Maybe Halsey was right, but I'd have to take a chance.

"Maybe, but we need to try. And it will happen today."

"Camila, it would be easier if you went with a team, with a warrant, everything well organized."

"And miss the chance when he gets scared? He has a lot of money and can have many alibis. The bureaucratic way complicates things too much, because it almost never works. So no, I want to approach him in a calm and clear way, I want to do it my way."

I ended my call with Halsey as soon as she said she wanted to sleep more. I have to admit that Halsey has been an excellent partner, and most of the time, a great friend, at least she hears my whines and comforts me in some way.

-----

I practically spent the whole afternoon hiding near Walter's house, the man would only go out at night, like Halsey had said, but I didn't want to risk it, so I remained firm and strong while I waited for him. It was dark already, and it wouldn't take long now for me to approach him. My phone rang, and I leaned back to grab it from the back seat.

"Where are you?"

"Still here, Halsey."

"He hasn't left yet?" She asked anxiously.

"Not ye... Halsey! Halsey! Wait, he's leaving now! Bye!"

"Be caref-" I didn't hear Halsey complete the sentence, I just hung up my phone, tossed it to the passenger seat, and watched Walter leave his house.

POV Lauren Jauregui

Even though his clothes weren't the best, even though his suits weren't exactly tailored, and even though his car wasn't one of the best, Walter seemed to be a very busy and important man. I've been watching him for a long time.

I threw the cigarette away, letting all the smoke out of my mouth, and with my eyes always attentive, I started the van again, slowly following him, as far as possible. I spent a short time following him until his car drove into a garage in a middle-class neighborhood. I stopped the van in front of the garage, while the man took his time to come out. I adjusted the mask on my face and soaked the cloth with a lot of chloroform, enough for the whole drive. It was already late at night, there was not even one person present to tell the story, just a car parked nearby, but it had been hours since the car was parked there.

As soon as Walter came out and turned to lock the garage, I got out of the van without making too much noise, and in quick and cautious steps, I approached him and grabbed him from behind, lifting the soaked cloth directly to his face, covering the area of his mouth and nose. Walter was startled and tried to hit me with an elbow, but I held him tighter, pressing even more the cloth on his face. He kept struggling until he blacked out for good. I relaxed my muscles, still holding the heavy body. My breathing was breathless and my heart was beating fast in my chest. The feeling of fear made me more alert, my eyes swept around the area as I dragged the body to the van. It wasn't easy at all to drag him there, but the worse was to put him inside the vehicle.