f i v e | Definitely Something

Start from the beginning

I don't think I loved it, but that was because I started out most part of the evening confused. But at least the conciliatory part of it was that I did think it was interesting.

Especially when every time Noah got the ball, everyone in the crowd went wild.

And every time that happened, Ella and Matt glanced over at me and snickered.

Honestly, they were my best friends, but I think I kind of regretted telling them about the night at the bonfire. Both of them had literally no chill.

I exhaled loudly and turned to my right, resting my jaw against the palm of my hand for a minute when I spotted something familiar.

Or rather someone.

"Hey, pretty girl with the cokes," the guy from the refreshment stand was sitting next to me, eyebrows raised in surprise as he addressed me.

"Rude guy," I acknowledged with a frosty nod.

"Hey, don't be like that. I'm sorry."

"Oh, so you're actually apologizing to me now?"

"It wasn't the greatest first impression I've ever made," he managed to admit. "I'm sorry for being a prick. You'd just caught me at a bad time."

I wasn't one to uselessly cling onto petty things, so I just nodded. "It's fine."

"No, seriously," I turned back to see a charming smile appear on his face. "Let me make it up to you."

"It's okay," I just said politely, before turning back to the field. "There's no need for that."

"If you say so."

Another polite smile and I was back to watching Noah killing it and just being plain awesome.

I could probably watch him play anytime.

God, he was good.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Redwood won the game.

Even though everyone had acted like the outcome was already a predetermined fact or something, they all jumped up cheering and screaming anyway, Matt and Ella included. I was a little more subtle than that, but happy for Noah nonetheless.

I was standing in front of the bleachers now as some of the crowd dispersed, some back to the dorms and some towards the field. Most still sat at the bleachers, reeling in the aftereffects of a good game, and talking among each other. I was waiting for Ella who'd gone with Matt to grab a bottle of water because her throat was hoarse from all the yelling she'd done.

I wasn't exactly surprised, the girl had cheered like Friends was back on air or something.

Tucking my cell phone in the pocket of my jeans, I folded my arms, turning around and taking in the view of the field.

Or more likely the view of a certain person.

I then scolded myself for staring because everyone knew that was rude and embarrassing, especially when the person themselves caught you in the act—which he totally did as his eyes met mine over the distance.

He didn't ignore it or write it off though, like most people would. Instead of that, he made his way over to me across the field with his helmet in hand.

"You came," he stated in a low voice once he reached within a few feet of me.

His eyes were still cold as ever, I saw. The expression still gave away nothing either.

Yet, it was him caring enough to come over and ask that I knew it mattered somehow.

I could see Ella and Matt heading towards us from my peripheral vision but I couldn't be bothered to care at the moment.

"Yeah." I said softly. "You were great, Noah."

A degree of warmth hit his face at that, and in return it was like feeling I'd just won a race.

It felt amazing.

"Come to the next game too," he said quietly, just as Ella made it to me.

"I'll be there," I confirmed with a small smile.

And he was done. With a nod at Ella and another look at me, he was gone, moving across the field towards where he disappeared in the huddle of the guys who welcomed him in a flurry of cheers, hugs and pats on the back.

"Another date with football?" Ella teased next to me.

"It's not a date." I fought a smile. "I'm just coming to the next game too."

"May not be a date," Matt snorted as he came up behind us, also apparently having witnessed the exchange. "But it's definitely fucking something, Riley."

And that's when I didn't stop the full-blown smile making it's way to my lips.

Man, I wish.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hey everyone! Chapter five is up and hope you like it. The next update will be next week as always. Good night :)

-lexy