Inheritance•Daveed Diggs x Reader

"I don't know, Daveed. This might not be a good idea," you sighed.

"Y/N, we've been dating for a whole year, but I haven't met your family, and you won't tell me why. I just want to get to know them outside of the photos you've shown me," he ran his hands through his hair. "Or at least get a reason."

Searching his face, you found no sign of anger, just tired resignation at not getting the answers he craved so badly.

Taking a deep breath, you started, "My family is very..." You trailed off, searching for a word. "Traditional. My family is very traditional." Pausing, you sighed. Your boyfriend raised an eyebrow at you, asking you to continue.

"No. They're not traditional. They're bigoted, homophobic, xenophobic, racist jerk heads, who can't pull their heads out of their *sses. And I'm afraid if they meet you, they'll either make me break up with you, or disown me, and don't know which is worse. They're my family, but I love you and-"

"Sorry, what?" Daveed interrupted you.

"I said I'm afraid they'll make me break u-"

"No no. Not that. That last sentence. You said you love me. You've never said that before."

That much was true. Daveed was very clear from the beginning as to what his feelings towards you were. You, on the other hand, were much more reserved. It didn't mean you didn't show it, you often did little favours for him to show you cared, but you never flat out said it until now.

"I said I- I said I love you," you said shakily. Pausing to regain your composure, you continued. "Because I do."

Daveed smiled so widely, you swore you could see all of his teeth. He pressed a kiss to your forehead. "I love you, too," he breathed. As much as you enjoyed the sentiment, you had to get your point across.

"And it's because I love you, you shouldn't go to my family dinner. They'll tear you apart, and they'll tear us apart, and I can't handle that, Daveed. I need you like I need to breathe. You're the only thing that's gotten me through these past few months," you spoke truthfully. You had been searching for a job, recently being laid off, broke, stressed, and at your wits end. Daveed was the one thing that kept you from completely loosing it.

He looked momentarily stunned. "I get it. You're scared. I was too. My parents wanted me to settle down with 'a nice black girl.' Then I met you. I was terrified to introduce you to my family, but it turned out alright. I'm sure it will be the same with your family. And if it does get ugly, we can just leave, okay?"

"Okay," you replied with an uneasy feeling in your gut.

************************************************************

"Which one its it?" Daveed asked as he turned down your childhood road.

"Right here, on the left," you pointed to the house your grew up in, sighing. "You sure you don't want to turn around?  I'll just say I'm not feeling well."

"Y/N, it'll be fine. If you start feeling uncomfortable, just let me know, and we'll leave."

"Daveed, I'm feeling uncomfortable. We should go."

"Please just give it a chance," he said, brushing your hair out of your face. "For me."

"Okay. Fine."

The two of you climbed out of the car, and made your way up to the front door. Taking a deep breath, you rang the doorbell.

"Daveed, I'm apologizing right now for my family. They're going to be jerks and I'm sorry."