Chapter Nine

They're Listening

           I wake. I burning in the back of my throat and a pulsing at the side of my head.

          I don't know why they moved me into the infirmary again. Once again, I'm alone besides the watch dogs. Maybe something happened, that they needed the infirmary so she moved me into the radiation bay. But I don't know. I don't know much things these days.

          I squeezed my eyes shut as I laid on the hard bed, I wiggled my toes. The ceiling fan and I begin a staring contest. It isn't long until I blink, the fan swooshing dry dust and air into my eyes. I turn my head to the side, now putting my declining focus on the guard standing by the door.

          My movements are slow, concerning. I must have some sort of fluid flowing through me still. Where is X, didn't she bring me in here? I open my dry mouth, my tongue slowly unsticking from the room of my mouth.

          "You," I call out as loud as I could, but it only came out as a disappointing croak.

          The guard turned, his hand on his gun. "What?"

          "X," I manage.

          "X?" he asks as he saunters over.

           "Where is—?"

          "Where is X?" He finished the sentence for me. "She left an hour ago after she brought you in here." He stood next to me.

          I roll my head back on the pillow, my eyes stilled on his gun. "Why am I in here?"

          The guard began to open his mouth, but his words never spat out as the doors behind him opened; capturing both of our attention. Dr. Tsing stood at the top of the steps, clipboard in hand and a light smile on her face. She walked down, her heels clicking with every step. It was an eerie sound.

           "Blithe," Her voice was calm and soothing, it made my hair stand up. "It's your lucky day."

          "What's so lucky about it?"

           "You get to leave and go back with your friends."

          "We don't have much time, but we can talk freely here." Maya stood, playing nervously with her fingers. She wore a scared look.

           "What the hell is going on?" Jasper demanded.

          The three, Monty, Jasper and Maya stood in large closet full of supplies. It smelt of chemicals, Monty glanced between Maya and Jasper, waiting for the news to come. Maya squeezed her eyes shut and looked down in defeat, hiding her tears from Jasper in embarrassment. Jasper calls her name to catch her attention.

           "I'm sorry," Her voice is barely a whisper.

          "About what? What? What do you mean it wasn't an accident?"

           Monty caught on, "She means they exposed her to radiation on purpose. I'm betting it was to get you to agree to be her blood brother."

          Maya nodded along with him.

          "I knew it," He said quickly, nervously, "Clarke was right. We can't tru—"