Chapter Three

Nightmares Part One - Chapter Three

I laid in bed underneath Clarke, she was drawing on the map Keenan had given us yesterday. She was still hell bent on finding a way out of here, I knew for sure if I remembered anything I'd be up there with her suggesting things. But that was the thing, besides hearing what Jasper had said yesterday, I still remembered nothing.

But last night was something terrorizing. I had yet another nightmare, this time there was no dead man calling me his daughter, this time I was on a ship. I recalled back onto the dream that made me scream bloody murder in my sleep.

I couldn't move, I was restrained to the seat. I was in the dark and I could feel someone breathing on my neck, my hair prickled at the sensation. Around me people were talking quietly, in the background was a small hum of a machine. A young girl let out a blood curdling scream, it sounded as if someone was slowly pulling out her insides. I felt as if someone was pulling out my insides, where ever I was I was being rocked back and forth violently.

Another person let out a ear piercing scream. I cringed at the woman, someone grasped at my hand. It was like electricity, zapping me over and over again. I opened my eyes to see sparks flying throughout the room, more people were strapped into metal chairs by red seatbelts.

Soon enough the people next to me were screaming, the ship I was on let out a 'boom' and a flash of white.

That's when I woke up, but just like the nightmare I had before I knew this wasn't my real memory, just a replacement as a flash of something was brought to me. The gift of the memory of when I killed the guard and my father on the Ark, then spent a year in solitary. Music played in the background, it wasn't like the piano, it was more energetic and happy instead of sad and depressing. I liked sad and depressing, it summed up my life. 

Two people entered the dorm. A boy around my age and Maya, the girl that Jasper was flirting with yesterday. People starting shouting his name, happy to see him. Maya gave him a soft look before pushing him forward. The first thing he laid eyes on was me, the mattress above me squeaked.

"I'm glad you're okay, Miller." Clarke's voice says from above me.

"Yeah. Only took like, what? Three surgeries?" Miller joked, but his eyes stayed on me. "Hey, how are you holding up?"

He must of not known about me losing my memory. "Just peachy."

Miller rolled his eyes, I closed mine and let my whole body sink into the mattress. After the nightmare I couldn't sleep, so I was extremely tired. I felt myself starting to drift off until the same alarm from yesterday afternoon start to go off.

I snapped open my eyes and looked around, Maya had stopped walking with Jasper. They were in a hushed conversation before Maya left his side and stalked down the hall towards the dorm exit. Clarke jumped off the top bunk, making my heart jump, and asked what was happening.

"That signal means surface patrol is back and someone is in need of metal attention." Maya explained and dashed out of the dorm shouting. "I have to go to quarantine."

Clarke looked to Jasper, then took of after the girl, Jasper gave me a frown and followed after her. I didn't get up from the bed, I wasn't in the mood to be yelled at by some guards. I felt my stomach rumble, I would get up from breakfast.

After getting out of my pajamas and sliding on my boots I quickly exited the dorm and made my way down the hall. Not even after a two minute walk I could already smell the pancakes and different sorts of fruits that were grown underground here.

I paused when I entered the dining hall, surprisingly not many people were up yet. I walked over to the buffet table and grabbed a plate, plopping a few breakfast food items on the dish. I turned away from the steaming table full of metal dishes and bumped into someone, the maple syrup I had in a small bowl pouring all over my dress.

"Jonah?" I smiled at the familiar face.

It was him. The tall, sharp jaw line, brown floppy hair and nice eyes, his pinker chapped lips. He didn't have freckles, which was disappointing, I liked freckles. I had no idea why I remembered him, I just did. So I embraced that idea, he didn't look at me like I had three heads. 

"Hey, you remember me?" He whispered in disbelief, we were both oblivious to the maple syrup running down my clothes.

"Yeah, I remembered you telling m-" He cut me off.

"You have syrup running down you dress. I am so sorry." Jonah gushed and reached for a napkin.

I causally looked down as he slowly wiped off the sticky liquid. After he finished and only a minor stain remained I asked him to join me. When he got his plate of food he sat next to me at one of the smaller tables into the corners, just for two.

We chatted like old friends that hadn't seen each other in forever. Our topic went from how delicious this breakfast was to how Mount Weather cooks it and the people he knew behind the kitchen. He whispered a promise that he would take me into the kitchen tomorrow to snatch some doughnuts, something they only have out on special occasions.

I felt myself falling deeper into the spell every time he laughed or smiled, they both melted my heart. I found myself laughing along at his very good jokes, something that felt odd to me. But there was soemthing missing, I shook of the odd vibe. Then I found myself walking through the halls of Mount Weather with him.

"Do you want to see the art warehouse?" He asks, leading me down another hallway.

"Sounds great." I whisper, batting my eyelashes at him.

"We're not supposed to be in here, but as a guard I have access anywhere."

We walked down another corridor until we reached a door, Jonah pulled a key card from his pocket and swiped it on the sensor. With a 'pft' the door opened, revealing a dark room full of colourful frames.

"Wow, they're all so beautiful." I whisper in awe.

Painting after painting, they were all so different. Some of them were portraits of landscapes, others were portraits of people. Some of them were just abstract art, my favourite kind of art.

Jonah and I paused at one particular one. It was of a forest, during night. The stars were twinkling in the sky and the moon casted its own shadow along a grey-blue river. My heart thumped when I felt Jonah's hand clasp in mine, his hand was big and cold; something was missing.

We stood like that for a good ten minutes, just looking at the art work with our hands intertwined. But something crackled to life in Jonah's pocket, making our hands reseat to our sides.

I nervously played with the string on my dress, while Jonah talked into the radio. I smelt the maple syrup on my dress. I have to take a shower so I'm not all sticky later on. Frowning I impatiently waited for Jonah to finish his radio conversation.

"Jonah, I'm thinking of having a shower. Thank you for showing me um, well, this." I say, he clipped the walkie-talkie to his waist and nodded.

"No problem." Jonah's voice was calm and caring, I turned to go. "My friend and I are going for breakfast tomorrow together, want to come?"

I paused thinking. "Sure, you come and find me."

"Okay, see you tomorrow." Jonah called as I left the art room.

#fillerchapter

#examsarethereasonfornoupates

#plusmywifiisdown

#killmenow

#ihavetumblrpleasefollowme

#itscalledqueenscream

#followmeplease

~Ava✌️