Imagine #51: Kai (Part Two)

Imagine Kai looking after your daughter (requested)

"Mommy!" Charlotte yelled, bounding into the room the second you opened the door. You grinned bundling her up in your arms, trying to juggle two bags of groceries on top of the weight of the little girl.

"Hey sweetie, how was your day?" You asked her, setting her down and picking up the odd can or two that had slipped from your bags.

"Daddy's being weird again." Charlotte answered, frowning slightly.

You sighed. "How about you help me bring in all these bags and then we can bake a cake for Josie and Lizzy, alright?" You said, reminding her that the twins were coming over for dinner.

"Is Uncle Ric coming too?" Charlotte asked. She hadn't seen much of Ric since Kai had reappeared. He'd accepted that Kai was safe and trusted your decision but he still couldn't stand being around the heretic.

"Aunty Care's bringing Stefan." You replied, breathing a sigh of relief as your daughter grinned. You didn't want her thinking Ric didn't like her, she was the only reason he hadn't dragged the twins and Caroline from your life the second Kai had shown up. Charlotte ran out to grab a bag, eager to help out and you took the load in your arms to the kitchen.

Kai's eyes lit up when you walked into the room and for a moment you couldn't wipe the smile off your face. He grinned back, finishing up with the sandwich he was making. You looked it over, ham and cheese.

"There's an avocado in the fridge for her." You told him and he sighed, muttering damnit under his breath. "...What did you do?"

"You look really beautiful today." Kai attempted. "It was a joke." He added defending himself. You stayed silent, hiding your amusement by turning and stacking things in the pantry. "I told her it was made of smashed frogs."

Without thinking you snorted, letting a chuckle slip past your lips. "And she believed you?"

"Apparently she doesn't know what to think anymore." Kai quoted. "She's turning into a tiny you and I don't like it one bit."

"I'm sorry is that supposed to be a bad thing?" You smirked as Kai trapped you in his arms and pressed a kiss to your forehead.

"I love you." Kai whispered.

"Stop being gross, Daddy!" Charlotte whined, teetering into the room with her bodyweight in bags stacked in her arms.

"Don't worry I love you too." Kai teased, making Charlotte make an over exaggerated ick. "That cut real deep, Char." He said, faking a frown.

Charlotte frowned, placing her like of bags haphazardly in a pile on the ground, and running to Kai. She wrapped her arms around his legs. "I'm sorry, I love you too Daddy." She said and you'd never seen Kai smile so wide.

---

The doorbell rang and Charlotte ran to answer it, eager to see her two best friends. You followed, apprehension building in your gut. Even though you'd never been so sure of your decision to let Kai in, this was the first time you'd had either Stefan or Caroline in the same room as Kai for an extended period of time since he'd reappeared.

The three girls dashed past you giggling, Josie and Lizzywaving as they passed you and you laughed, worry fading.

"I'm sorry they ran past me." Caroline laughed. "Stefan decided not to come, I'm so sorry." She glanced towards the door.

"Why does that bot surprise me?" You breathed out, knowing Kai was in the backyard and couldn't hear you.

"I uh- spoke to Stefan. He hates Kai, I won't lie to you but he trusts you to make the best decision for Charlotte." Caroline said honestly.

"Can I show Lizzy and Josie the cake I made Mom?" Charlotte yelled and you excused yourself to go stop the six year olds from pulling it out themselves. There was no doubt in your mind that they would drop it.

---

The girls vanished into god knows what corner of the house after dinner, leaving you and the two other adults awkwardly sat around the kitchen as you and Kai tidied up. Which would have been fine were it not that Caroline was all kinds of up tight and Kai was stammering to make a positive impression on your guests. Leaving you, in all your glory, to pick up the slack on the conversation.

"I can't believe the twins are six in a couple of weeks." You commented, examining a wine glass for grease spots at the sink.

"Ugh I know right! Honestly, it feels like yesterday we were starting 10th grade and my biggest concern was why Elena had scooped the hot new guy right out from underneath me." Caroline said, still glancing warily at every few moments.

"And now you're having your June wedding." You grinned, brushing your hand over Kai's reassuringly as he reentered the room, a tray of chicken in hand.

"Speaking of which... Am I ever getting a save the date from you two?" Caroline replied and you froze.

"If she ever says yes." Kai muttered, somehow thinking that was the most helpful addition to the present conversation. He'd proposed twice to you now and both times you'd turned him down, purely based on poor timing. The first time he'd asked in the prison world after Bonnie had zapped her and Damon out and left you behind in a temper. The second had been weeks out from Alaric and Jo's wedding and though you'd wanted to say yes then, it was too soon and you were afraid he'd only asked out of jealousy of his twins happiness.

"What did you just say?" Caroline said, her voice a mixture of surprise and worry.

"Hey. Third time's going to be a charm right?" Kai replied and you breathed a sigh of relief as the situation diffused. Caroline was still fraught with confusion but Kai was smiling and that was good enough.

Caroline paused until Kai left the room once more before mouthing a flurry of questions at you, the last one you managed to catch as something along the lines of 'would you marry him?'. You shrugged but nodded watching as Caroline's face somehow went pale and filled with excitement all at once.

You rolled your eyes as she began to whisper about if a May 10 wedding was tacky and if she could be your wedding planner and turned to grab the baking tray that you'd left on the stove before to clean it up. It slipped from your fingers as you realized that:

a) It was still hot
b) You'd left the stove on underneath it and
c) You'd grabbed it with your barehand

Cursing under your breath, you grabbed a tea towel and tried to pick up the tray and begun cleaning up the mess you'd created.

"What happened?" Kai shot into the room, panic clear on his face until he realized it was only a burn. He took your hand in his muttering a few disjointed words of latin and you watched the forming blister disappear from your hand. Kai smiled to himself, a wave of accomplishment washing over him, and pressed a kiss to your knuckles. "I'll finish clearing up okay? Oh and Caroline? Josie tripped out the back so I got her teddy out of your bag for her... She asked for it sorry."

Caroline's head whipped around as she tuned into the noise of her daughter's playing in the yard. "I didn't even hear her cry." She said. "Is she okay?"

"I'm pretty good." Kai assured her. "It was just a graze, she didn't even bleed."

"Well uh... Thanks Kai..." Caroline said and for the first time you saw her genuinely smile at Kai leaving whatever worries she had behind.