Chapter 6: Stress

Three Months Later
"Dr. Ziegler and Dr. (L/n). We need one of you in the ER." A doctor tells you two.

You and Angela look up from your work. Over the past few months, you and Angela had been researching more and testing the resurrection ability at a hospital not too far from home. However, you guys hadn't made any progress since the failed full resurrection of Gabriel.

You give Angela a glance. She gives you a pleading look, meaning she wants you to deal with the patient. Usually Angela would rush to the situation, but today she seemed a bit more on edge, wanting to work on the project more.

"What's the situation, Dr. Patel?" You ask.

"This person, Annabelle de la Rosa, has a bullet close to her lung. The bullet is also poisoning her bloodstream."

"Then we don't have much time. Angela, can I borrow your staff?"

"Yes. Of course." She says without looking up from her work.

You grab her staff as well as one of your elixirs and x-ray visor and rush over to where the patient is being held. You wash your hands and put your gloves and mask on before starting the operation.

"Dr. Patel, keep the healing stream on very low. We want to keep her alive, but not seal up where we're operating." You say.

"Yes Dr. (l/n)." Dr. Patel says.

You inject one of your elixirs in the patient to stop the bullet poisoning from spreading and to start getting rid of it. After that, you switch on your x-ray visor so you can see where your operating.

"Where's the bullet, sir?" An omnic doctor asks.

"It's close to the lung. We have to carefully remove it. Total silence, please." You say.

The whole room is quiet as you carefully operate on the woman. You control the mechanical arms in the small incision holes around the bullet wound. This was to allow the patient to heal faster, avoid accidents, and spread less germs in contrast to operating with your hands.

Using the visor, you make your way to the bullet and carefully grab it with the arms. You start to pull the bullet out very carefully. You don't want to hit any vital organs on your way out. The bullet is removed and you drop it in the silver pan.

"Bullet removed. Begin healing process." You say as you turn off your visor.

The people clap and you thank them. They start to begin the healing process and you walk out of the room.

"What's the situation?" A young doctor asks outside of the ER.

"Another successful procedure." You say.

"Awesome. If you don't mind, I have a question to ask you. I asked Dr. Ziegler first, but she told me to see you."

"Yeah. She's kinda on edge today. Probably because we haven't made much progress on our research and she hasn't slept enough over the past few days. Anyway, what's your question?"

The doctor shows you an x-ray of some metal wedged into someone's leg. You tell him what to do in detail and he thanks you.

"Thank you so much Dr. (L/n)." He says.

"My pleasure, Dr. Lee." You say and pat the young doctor on the back.

"Hope you guys make a breakthrough on your research."

"I do too. For the people's sake and Angela's."

"Have you tried to get her to rest?"

"Of course I have, but you know her. She's quite the workaholic. She knows it's bad for her health, but she really cares about others. We've been working on this project for a long time, and I think she's getting anxious for some results. See you around, Dr. Lee."