[one]

t h i r d  p e r s o n

Hiccup sat on one of the icy ledges of the dragon sanctuary, his best friend, and quote un quote "brother" laying alongside him. They both starred out at the churning sea below them, almost wondering for the moment when the waves would build up into a wall and crash over them.

"So, tomorrow we're setting out to look for the cure, right?" Hiccup asked Toothless in the native dragon tongue, Dragonese.

"Yes, you've asked this question twenty times already, and I've responded the same every single time." Toothless growled, but it wasn't meant to be rude, it was more of a dragon-like laugh.

"Okay, okay, I know, but I'm just really excited, we never go on adventures anymore."

"I couldn't tell," Toothless said sarcastically, rolling his big round eyes, "and you know why we never do, you'll get captured, or better yet, killed."

It went silent between the both of them, Hiccup had gone through this conversation many times. Hiccup, had the wings and tail of a dragon, while the rest of him was as human as it could get, he was completely harmless, though he had a rather large price over his head.

"And you know that." Toothless said dryly.

Hiccup didn't say a word, and stood up. It hurt him to do this to Toothless, he was the closest thing to family that he had, but still he pressed on and made his way to his room. It was hard to classify it as a room, but sure enough- it was one. Hiccup sat himself down on the bed Toothless and him had taken from an abandoned village, when the two were looking for supplies years back.

Hiccup had been stolen from his crib back on Berk only days after birth. His father was the Chief of the tribe, and Hiccup was to be their future heir. Hiccup thought that his exposure to dragons as a child had given him his distinguishing features, but once, after slicing his chin on the ice in the sanctuary, his blood appeared all but human to Toothless. He had dragon blood flowing through his veins, and nobody knew why.

Hiccup woke up with a body-jolting start, and sat himself up slowly, peering out into the sanctuary. Almost, if not all of the dragons were asleep, and the sky was sprinkled with stars. He got up, and stretched his wings, unfolding them thoroughly. Toothless lay asleep on the floor, curled up on his heated slab of rock. Hiccup didn't know what to do, so he decided to walk around for a bit.

The cold October wind ripped at Hiccup's torn tunic, which he had stitched himself up a year ago. It had worn down, ripped and stretched, making it look thirty years older than it actually was. He trudged along the icy pathways of the mountain, finally jumping up and using a combination of his wings and the rocky cliff to propel himself upward onto one of the highest points of the icy structure that he called home.

His head was spinning, as usual. There was the point where he loved his dragon side of him, it made him unique, special, but then there was also that point where he wanted to just be normal, and go about doing what any other viking would do, except, he wouldn't kill dragons like they all do. He'd protect them, and help them.

"Thinking again?" A tired voice came from behind Hiccup, making him turn his thoughts away from the dancing stars.

"Cloudjumper, go back to sleep." Hiccup sighed, thought not annoyed, he kind of got used to the nighttime meet ups with her. Even though Toothless' prime time was at night, but he had many jobs to do for the king during the day that he started having to cut out his daytime naps for more nighttime sleep.

"Not when I'm going to be the reason Toothless can't sleep at night once you're taken by some freakish dragon hunters." The four-winged dragon, a Stormcutter, climbed around the cliff to face Hiccup.

"It's not my fault he's paranoid for me." Hiccup laughed.

"He is your brother after all."

"I guess so." Hiccup said, turning his head back to the stars.

"What's on your mind this time?" The dragon cooed, nudging Hiccup.

"I dunno, life? I guess?"

"That's a rather large topic." She paused, "Why don't you go back to sleep, you have that journey tomorrow, remember?"

"I'll probably sleep on the way."

"Figures."

"Hey!" Hiccup scolded playfully, "Just because I can't sleep at night sometimes doesn't mean I sleep everywhere else."

"You sure about that?"

"Certain." Hiccup smirked.

"So you're really not moving, huh?" Cloudjumper stiffened her tone.

"Did you expect me too?"

"No, not really." She watched Hiccup turn his attention back, once again, to the sky, and deciding; that since he wasn't going to move, she wasn't either.

"Don't tell Toothless I'm back up here again, please? I already promised him I wouldn't do it again after he found out last time when he found me asleep up here."

It was past midnight when Hiccup finally fell asleep, head rested against Cloudjumper's scaly chest. The dragon carried him down, back to his hollowed out room in the sanctuary, plopping him on the bed with a quiet thud.

The morning came rather quickly, and Hiccup woke up to a thick layer of slimy dragon saliva coating his face.

"Plegth!" He grunted, sitting up, and wiping it off onto his hands, before flicking the substance back at Toothless, muttering, "Useless reptile."

"Pardon?" Toothless acted surprised.

"I said: 'useless reptile'." Hiccup spoke loud enough for Toothless to hear clearly.

"Oh it is on, little 'useless boy'" Toothless mocked Hiccup, before pouncing and tackling Hiccup to the ground. Hiccup smacked Toothless playfully with his tail, Toothless then butted Hiccup with his head, causing him to roll onto his side.

"You two knuckleheads c'mere, the King wants to speak with you, asap." Cloudjumper said, peeping her head through the carved out archway door, not bothering to come inside.

Hiccup grabbed his trusty knife, satchel, and clipped on his armour as fast as he could manage, before almost tripping over his own feet and hopping out the door to meet Toothless at the heart of the sanctuary.

~

I actually managed to get the first chapter out- holy crap. Hahahaha, anyways this is the beginning of something better? Or worse. Who knows, what did you think? Is it better? Or is it worse?

And yes, the cover is made by me, i don't own the image of Hiccup.