Chapter 1

'Painting that is all I can try to do... Why can I not do something else? Oh yes... That is right... I am like a slave...'  I think as I finish my order in 'my' 'village' home.  It is Vampire season which means everyone stays in their homes. Unless you are a knight or a hunter or someone like me on the outskirts and forced to stay in their home unless allowed out.  Most people in this village are religious, being Pagan or Christian or they are atheist.  Suddenly I am startled as there is a knock at my door.  "Password!"  I shout going over to the door.  "Asriel."  I hear.  I open the door and see a knight.  "The king and queen will see you in a week... Please come with us." They say.  I nod.  "Come in... I all but need is to clean my supplies." I state calmly.  They nod and come in, closing the frail wooden door behind them.  "Do you live alone monsieur Encre?"  The knight asks.  I freeze dropping a paintbrush.  I shake my head and laugh nervously "Uh... Yes... I do..." 'He must be a rookie...' I think softly. "Then... Why not live in the castle?"  The knight asks.  "It is far too rushed and I prefer the quiet simple life..."  I lie my voice extremely soft as I clean my brushes.  "I see... Forgive me for intruding on your personal-..."  The knight starts but they are cut off by screaming.  I jump hearing it and the knight then says "We are surrounded..."  Fear fills me as there is more screaming and there is banging on the door.  I become terrified as the knight comes over to me.  He stands with me directly in front of him.  I hold onto him tightly due to me being terrified.  "It is alright monsieur Encre... I shall protect you."  He says.  I grip the silver cross around my neck tightly praying.  I then pass out due to overexposure and exhaustion.  

I wake up to the smell of blood and dust.  "What is that glow?"  I hear.  I keep my eyes closed as there are things shifting and being taken off of me.  "There is something under that light!"  I hear.  I open my eyes and sit up.  I then see my shoulder is bleeding and is cracked slightly. I grab it with a trembling hand.  "At least it is alive."  I hear someone say.  I start to sob due to me being scared.  "God... I beg you... Protect me..."  I mutter gripping my shoulder while tears collect with the blood on the dirt below me.  "What is that light?"  I hear.  "No one can figure that out Lord Fallacy."  I hear.  The light surrounding me suddenly starts to flicker as I feel myself fall forwards.  I feel arms go around my waist as I go limp feeling everything go numb slowly.  "It is a mortal... What happened here?" I hear.  "I bet rogues attacked, this Mortal seems to be a higher up as well."  I hear.  "Mortal... Are you alright?"  I hear.  I open my eyes slowly and wince due to my shoulder.  I then hear a snap as my cross falls off.  I get pulled into someone and I wince as a few tears leak from my eyes.  "Mortal..."  I hear a clear deep and mysterious voice say.  I open my eyes slightly and look around. "MONSIEUR ENCRE!!!" I hear someone scream. "Save him!!!" I hear. "The King and Queen will have my head if he doesn't get sworn in next week!"  I hear as I am lifted up.  My injured shoulder lets my bleeding arm fall to the side.  "THEY ARE GOING TO KILL HIM HURRY!!!"  I hear. "Let them take him!!!" I hear.  "Let the vampire die!!!" I hear. I open my eyes as I feel arms go around me.  

Time Skip...

I wake up to being warm and a slightly numb feeling around my wrists and legs.  I open my eyes and go to sit up, but then I see multiple blue strings surrounding the room and my wrists are bound by this blue string.  I start to panic hard.  I sit up to see my legs bound as well.  I am trying to fight now due to fear.  They keep getting tighter and it causes me to panic even more.  "He is panicking, my lord... The Mortal hunters and guard move quietly and slowly, he is panicking."  I hear.  My wrists and legs have begun to bleed now and it hurts agonizingly so.  I stop struggling and just sob knowing I am probably going to die.  Suddenly I hear a door open and a gasp.  "Oh dear..."  I hear.  "My lord..."  I hear.  Suddenly there is a soothing feeling around my wrists and they no longer hurt.  "That's going to scar..."  I hear someone say.  My sobbing becomes only a soft crying.  "It is alright..."  I hear.  "At least he isn't screaming at the sight of them..."  I hear.  I open my eyes slowly and see a dark skeleton figure kneeling in front of me.  "What is your name... Mortal?"  He says.  'Mortal... So he is...' I think. He puts pressure on my wrists and I wince hard, my whole body jerking forwards due to it.  "Can you speak?"  He asks his voice cold.  I nod fast, now shaking due to fear.  "My lord... It seems by you injuring him... It has forced him into a state of shock."  I hear.  My eyes are squeezed shut due to my fear.  The pressure releases and I relax a bit trying to keep calm.  "There... See... Mortals such as these are very delicate compared to hunters and those amongst the guard."  I hear.  I let my eyes open slightly and I stutter "My-My a-name is E-Encre."  "I see..."  The black skeleton figure says.  His eyes bright red, yellow and in his left a center of bright blue.  Blue flame-like patterns extend from the corner of his eyes reaching to the sides of his skull.   It reminds me of the figure from my dreams, the ones thought to be holy messages from God.  "Encre... Are you alright?"  The skeleton asks.  I nod slowly coming back into focus.  'But why would God send me images of a vampire... He must be a Vampire due to them calling me Mortal, or am I sitting in front of God himself?' I think trying to piece things together.  "You think a lot do you not?"  The skeleton in front of me says.  "That is... The only other thing I really get to do... Eat, sleep, pray, paint and think... I was ever so lucky... To have the abilities to work every season."  I mutter.  "So you are religious it explains that magic you used earlier to blind your enemies..."  they say.  "Magic... I cannot use magic... It goes against the church, I merely asked thy lord for protection for... I did not want to die..."   I answer blushing.  "That is new..."  I hear.  "New?"  I mutter.  "Most people I bring here that are of the Christian faith, just pray... You, I find interesting..."  they say smirking up at me.  "Suave I want him healed right away."  The skeleton says standing, while still holding my hand.  His face had gone serious, but there is a certain look in their eyes as they look down towards me, that I cannot explain.  "My servant will take care of your wounds, please rest now."  They say.  I nod softly.