Chapter 8: Take on the world

''You can't keep running away, Riley''

He called out just before she took her last step out of the classroom. Taking a deep breath and staring ahead at Maya and Farkle's knowing glances, all she could do was remain where she was.

''Dad, I don't want to talk about it right now-''

She could hear his footsteps getting nearer, and still her feet refused to move. ''Then when?''

''We'll be right here'' Maya assured, leaning against the lockers and sending her a small grin. Farkle nodded, a comforting smile on his own lips. ''Always''

That gave Riley enough courage to turn on her heel, closing the door to the classroom and facing what she had hoped to avoid for as long as possible. Her father's face wasn't as easy going as it had been only minutes before during class; instead the lines across his forehead became visible and the dark bags under his eyes suddenly grew visible.

Riley tucked her dark hair behind her ear, nervously tugging on the end of her shirt. ''What do you want to talk about?''

''You know what this is about'' her dad inhaled deeply. ''We know you went to Farkle's yesterday?''

She rose an eyebrow. ''How?''

''He called us last night about an hour after you left'' he gulped. ''Riley, your mother and I are trying to understand, we really are''

''I know'' she murmured.

''Please, tell us what we can do to help you. I know we've made mistakes parents shouldn't do, but we need to know what we can do to make it all better''

With shaky hands, she admitted something she'd held in. ''I don't know, dad''

''what do you mean?''

Before she could realize what was happening, she bursted out in tears, feeling a knot in her throat. It was as if everything those simple words had triggered everything she'd held in, which she didn't think was possible since she'd spend too many nights crying her heart out.

''Sweetheart,'' her father called out, grabbing her shoulders.

She ran into his arms, wrapping her arms around him as tightly as she could. And she wept, wept into his suit like a small child. He didn't say anything at first, all he did was hold her close, resting his head on top of hers. She hadn't realized just how much she missed those rare embraces, just how much her dad could make everything better simply doing that.

Riley sniffed, cheek resting against his chest. ''I don't even know what I can do to make it all better. I hate it that I have to make you and mom have to deal with this''

''We're not dealing with this'' she could hear his voice crack. ''We're taking care of you because we love you more than anything''

''I screamed at mom and ran away'' she choked, feeling more tears fall. ''She was trying to help me, and I didn't want to listen''

''She told me what she said, and we both agreed some of it was insensitive'' her father pulled away, and grinned slightly as he wiped the tears off her face. ''It wasn't all your fault''

''Dad, I'm sorry for everything'' Riley murmured. ''I know it hasn't been easy for you either''

''Come back home?''

She nodded, sniffing. ''Yeah, I'll come back''

With one last hug, her father placed a kiss on her forehead. ''I love you a lot, Riles. You'll always be my princess''