Chapter 3-Mr. and Mrs. Matthews

Hey, guys! Quick author's note: I recommend you play this song while reading the chapter :) Alright, let's start!

They'd been waiting for Riley for over half an hour, and to say there was a mixture of emotions in the apartment was an understatement.

Mr. Matthews was sitting next to him, his arm around his wife and his gaze on the picture of Riley and Auggie only a few feet away. His face looked hardened, nothing like the goofy and caring teacher he'd acted like only hours before; No, Farkle had never seen him so cold and distant.

Mrs. Matthews had her head on her husband's chest, her eyes still glistening in tears and occasionally, there would be a sniff. She'd completely broken down when the two of them had told her about what was happening with Riley, and Farkle didn't think he'd ever get rid of the haunting image of her cries. Most of all, he could feel their worry and remorse.

They'd both been completely stunned when he'd told them, and he felt as if they blamed themselves for it.

Farkle had decided not to say anything about it, though, and simply waited for their daughter to return in silence.

The door suddenly unlocked, and in came in a smiling Riley and a laughing Maya. However, her facial expression rapidly dropped once she looked at each of them. Farkle looked down at his feet, not daring to look her in the eye.

''Riley, sweetheart, we have to talk'' Mr. Matthews spoke, pressing his lips together.

Riley didn't say anything, and instead Maya chuckled. ''What's wrong, Matthews? Why do you all look like someone died?''

''Riley, I told them'' Farkle said, looking up to find her shaking in her spot. ''I'm sorry, but I had to. This can't keep going on''

''What are they talking about?'' asked the blonde, turning to look at her best friend.

Riley gulped, and rapidly rushed towards the entrance. Maya, knowing her like the back of her hand, was quick to block the door with her body. Mr. Matthews rushed to her side, grabbing her by the shoulders and sitting her in between Farkle and him. Farkle frowned, watching as she nervously pulled on her sleeves.

''Please, sweetie, let us help you'' Mrs. Matthews urged, staring at her daughter with such love that Farkle couldn't describe. ''You can't keep hurting yourself''

''I'm not'' she murmured, just loud enough for all of them to hear.

Mr. Matthews grabbed her arms and pulled up her sleeves, Riley not even bothering to put up a fight as her eyes filled with tears. Her arms still had the clear scars of old cuts, but there were two recent and bloodied ones that grabbed everyone's attention, seeing as they had been there for what seemed to be like less than an hour. Farkle felt his blood boil at the sight of them, and he could see how Riley refused to look his way.

Mrs. Matthews gasped, holding her hands to her heart. ''Riley-''

''Yeah, yeah, I know'' Riley said, wiping her rushing tears away. ''I'm a bad person, mommy''

''No, no, don't say that'' Mr., Matthews cried out, his composed look completely broken. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his chest. ''You are not a bad person''

Farkle looked up at Maya, his heart beating out of his chest as he noticed the tears streaming down her own face as she looked down at Riley. It was the same hurt look she had years ago when she'd discovered Riley was being bullied, and one he never thought he'd see again. He could also see the confusion in her eyes, as she fought to take in just what was occurring. As one of her best friends, he knew how she was feeling; it was a combination of guilt, anger and sorrow.

''Why didn't you say anything?'' her mother asked, her face red and puffed up.

Rile shrugged, pulling away from her father's grasp. ''You're either at the firm or at Topanga's, and dad's always off doing who knows what. I didn't want to be a bother''

''Riley, you know we will always put you and your brother above everything else! How could you not seek us out if you felt depressed?'' Mr. Matthews argued, angrily. But everyone could hear how his voice was breaking through each word.

''Dad, I just-'' she turned to look at Farkle, and then back at them. ''Farkle, how could you?''

''I did it for you, Riley. You know that'' he responded, grabbing ahold of her hand and squeezing it.

She pushed his hand off, rising from the couch and turning to look at each of them. ''I'm really tired, let's talk about this later''

''Riley, we're going to talk about it now'' Maya yelled, much to everyone's surprise. ''No more lies, no more secrets. We're going to talk right now''

''Fine, you want to talk?'' Riley snapped, her eyes filled with tears. ''Alright, well I've felt depressed for a long while now, but nobody's noticed except Farkle. You're all stuck in this sick idea that I'm supposed to be sunshine Riley who lights up the room, but I'm not! Admit it, none of you noticed that I was faking it until now!''

The room was filled with eerie silence, as Mr. and Mrs. Matthews turned to look at each other and Maya's head fell low.

''Yeah I thought so,'' Riley spat, letting out a bitter laugh. ''None of you can give me crap for not saying anything when you didn't notice in the first place!''

She grabbed ahold of Farkle and dragged him to her bedroom, locking the door in a swift motion. She then threw herself onto him, hiding her face into his chest as the tears fell from her eyes. Farkle ran his fingers down her hair, almost feeling the same rush of emotions running through her.

''I'm sorry for bringing so many problems, Farkle'' she whispered, to which Farkle planted a kiss on her forehead.

''We'll get through this, Riles, we all have our demons''

She sniffed, pulling away and looking at him with those big brown eyes of hers. ''I'm sorry for being angry that you told them, too''

''its okay, Riley'' he sighed, hugging her even tighter.

''Stay, please?''

He pulled away, brushing away her tears. ''Always''