Chapter 7:Breakfast

I'm not going to lie this chapter is weird lol

Riley hated being alone, and on that night, she hated it more than anything in the world.

Although she knew Farkle was no more than a few footsteps away, the heavy atmosphere only seemed to suffocate her the longer she was alone with her thoughts. The truth was, there was no escaping the guilt that came with leaving behind her family, and it was only seemed to fuel her already chaotic mind.

She loved her parents; her wonderful, strong, nurturing parents that wanted the best for her, and she didn't understand why everything went the way it did. She knew they weren't the only ones to blame for what had occurred only hours before, and yet, she figured they would've come looking for her the second she'd left the apartment.

Riley didn't want to think all that much into it, but the more she did, the more tears stained Farkle's pillow.

Then her mind traveled to her seven year old brother, Auggie, and that's when it really hit her. What kind of sister was she, just neglecting him most of the time and being so self-centered? How could she had left him behind so coldly, like he didn't matter? Sweet, innocent Auggie deserved a better sister to look up to; one who didn't hate herself or wanted to die. It broke her heart that she wasn't that person, and if she could, she'd put up her facade of sunshine Riley again just to assure him everything would be okay.

Needless to say, she didn't get any sleep that night, just looking up at the glowing planets on Farkle's ceeling.

Pluto wasn't even considered a planet anymore, and yet she smiled at him like an old friend. Those times, when she'd fought against all odds and stated that Pluto was in fact a planet, had been a stronger and joyful Riley.

It'd been a long time since she'd last thought of the dwarf planet.

Soon enough, the morning sunlight began to appear through the curtains and the sound of an alarm clock rang throughout the room. Wiping away the last tear from her eyes (she was surprised she wasn't fully dehydrated at that point), she turned the clock off and rose from bed, making her way towards the living room.

She grinned slightly to herself at the sight of a sleeping Farkle, snuggled up to a large blanket and snoring without a care. Running her fingers through his hair, she shook him gently. ''Hey, Farkly. Time to get up''

He groaned, his eyes blinking open several times and locking on hers immediately. She suddenly felt flustered, realizing their faces were only inches apart, and took a few steps back. ''Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you, but we gotta get to school''

''don't worry about it'' he spoke with his sleepy voice, wiping his eyes. ''Did you have a good sleep?''

She nodded, smiling while biting her tongue. He chuckled, stretching his arms out. ''Good, you must've needed one''

''What do you want for breakfast? Just in case you're wondering, I can only really cook eggs and toast bread'' she changed the subject, walking over to the large kitchen and pulling out a pan.

Farkle sat up on the couch, shaking his head. ''No, really, Riles, you don't have to. I usually just eat cereal''

''Please, it's the least I can do for bothering you late at night'' she giggled softly to herself. ''go and get dressed, I'll tell you when breakfast is ready''

''Riley-''

''I have to do at least something little for you in return for everything you've done for me, okay? Now go''

He hesitated, but eventually he smiled her way before leaving off to his room. Cooking the eggs and placing the toast in the toaster, she tried her best to distract herself from the sudden question.

Should she even go to school? Her father would be there, and who knows what he'd say to her. If she decided not to, where would she stay? She couldn't go back home because her mother would be going in and out of the apartment, and it'd only complicate everything more.

Riley was really just done with the day before it had even started.

''Farkle, breakfast is ready!'' she cried out, setting down two plates on the kitchen table.

Looking at the somewhat eatable eggs, she grabbed two glass cups and poured apple juice into both of them. She raised an eyebrow at the sight of Farkle holding out a bundle of something in his hand. ''What's this?''

''Clothes for school. You and Maya always keep a pair around here, so it's the perfect time to use them''

''Thanks, Farkle'' she grabbed the clothes from him, beaming. ''Don't start breakfast without me, okay?''

He nodded, and she rapidly ran into his bathroom and began to change into a pair of black leggings, a large NYC shirt and her usual black converse. Staring at herself in the mirror, she gagged at the sight of the large bags under her eyes. Going back to the kitchen, she put on a smile and sat next to her best friend.

Farkle was the first one to take a bite, letting out a satisfied hum. ''Wow, it's been a while since someone's made me breakfast''

''Really?'' she furrowed her eyebrows. ''Your parents don't cook for you?''

''Not really. If they're not fighting, mom's usually out with her friends somewhere and dad works for as long as he can. I don't mind all that much anymore, but it's nice''

''Oh, Farkle'' she frowned, feeling a pain at her heart. ''Why didn't you tell us?''

''It's not that big of a deal, honestly. Plus, knowing you all, you would be here every single morning eating with me, and I don't want to push you to do that''

''Farkle Minkus, you matter and don't you dare think otherwise'' she pulled him into a side hug, resting her head on his shoulder. ''From now on, you're never eating breakfast alone, understand?''

''It's just breakfast, Riles-''

''No, it's not, its friends being there for each other and I'm here for you always''

''I'm here for you too,'' he chuckled, untangling her hair with his fingers.

She sighed, snuggling deeper into the crook of his neck. ''Promise me you'll never leave''

Taking another bite of his eggs, Farkle wrapped an arm around her shoulder. ''I promise''