Chapter 2

Everybody went quiet, before Niall burst out laughing. Everybody joined in, even I giggled a nervous laugh. Niall wrapped his arm around me, as if he was saying: don't worry, you'll go back to your family soon enough.

I wrapped my arm around his waist, holding him there. He was so comforting, and it had been so long since somebody had been there to comfort me. My dad was never there for me, neither was my mom.

"Guys! Niall's blushing again!" Louis yelled, pinching Niall's cheeks. Niall slapped his hand away and growled at him menacingly.

It looked ridiculous, seeing Niall try to look menacing. I burst into a laughing fit, my sides in stitches from laughing too hard. Harry and Zayn looked at me like I was crazy, but I didn't care.

We walked around the mall, checking every exit to see if any one of them was clear, but we had no such luck.

Eventually, Liam had the sense to try and call his manager to tell him we were snowed in. But the odds certainly weren't in our favor either; the snowstorm had apparently knocked over the power lines or frozen them, because none of the boys' cell phones had reception.

"I'm sorry, Abbie, but you won't be able to call your parents and tell them you're alright... The phones don't work" Harry said as he hung up his phone.

"It's fine, my mom will be fine without me, it's just a little storm" I lied.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded and turned around, not wanting to go any further with the subject.

Louis popped up next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. He started walking away from the group, pulling me with him.

"So, what's going on between you and Nialler?" he asked once we were far enough that Zayn, Niall, Harry and Liam wouldn't overhear.

"Nothing" I answered blankly. "We're just mates"

"Mates don't cuddle up to each other like you were, Abigail." he said, smirking at me.

Damn, he's right. But what do I tell him, the truth? I don't want any other one of them knowing about my family's issues. I want them to treat me like a regular person. Or do I tell him we're a thing?

"Fine. I may fancy him a bit" I lied.

After saying that... It seemed to hit me straight in the face.

I do fancy Niall.

He may be just what I need to move on from Kevin.

I turned back to look at Niall, who was talking quietly to Liam alone. He shot a quick glance at me, catching my gaze, and smiled tentatively at me. I blushed at being caught and turned away rapidly.

"He fancies you too, you know" Louis said, distracting me.

"You sure? I'll bet he flirts like that to every girl that comes around"

"Actually, he doesn't, really. He'll just start up a conversation, but he would never lead a girl on if he's not interested. Always the gentleman, Niall is."

Hm. Maybe I should give Niall a chance, even if he does get on my nerves sometimes. I mean, I told him my story, that's already a good start, right?

"Oh. Well, I don't know, you sure he really likes me? I don't want to go make a fool of myself around him, ya know?" I asked Louis, hoping he'd be right.

"I'm positive."

I walked up close to Louis and grabbed the collar of his shirt in my fist.  

"And if you tell him a single word of what I told you, I swear you'll never see daylight again" I growled, letting go of his collar.