Chapter 17

Abbie's POV

The taxi driver seemed to get stuck at all the red lights on purpose. I kept fiddling with the rectangular box in my pocket impatiently. I didn't want to start crying here, and I wasn't sure if I could hold the tears in much longer.

What was in this bloody box? Why couldn't I open the box at the airport?! It's killing me not knowing what's inside.

When the driver finally pulled into the driveway, I threw a twenty dollar bill over the seat, not caring about the change. I shot out of the car and walked quickly to the front door, shakily opening it. The first thing that greeted me was a frustrated Rose.

"Abbie what took you so long! We tried putting the twins to sleep like you told us, but they won't stop crying and yelling! They wanted Zayn" she panicked.

I sighed. I guess I'll only be able to open the box later.

"Yeah they're going to miss Zayn" I took a deep breath as I ran my hand through my hair. "Where's Heather?"

"She's still trying to put them to sleep"

"Alright I'll go" I sighed, kicking off my shoes and quickly jogging upstairs to the twins' room.

I walked inside to see Heather sitting on the bed, trying to calm down Jordyn who was jumping on the bed. Jonathan was just crying.

"Abbie! I can't take this anymore!" Heather spoke over Jordyn's screaming and Jonathan's crying.

With that, she got up and jogged out of the room, making me laugh. "See what you did guys? You made your babysitter run away!"

Jordyn stopped jumping. "Like in Nanny McPhee?!" she squealed excitedly.

I burst out laughing, momentarily forgetting about my sadness. "Yes, Jordyn. Just like in Nanny McPhee"

She calmed a bit and sat down next to me. Jonathan had stopped crying. "Where's everyone, Abbie?" she asked.

I sighed. They won't understand.

"Well you knew that Zayn, Niall, Harry, Louis and Liam were singers, right?" I asked, trying to make this as simple as I could.

They both nodded. "Well when some people can sing really well, they get asked to sing in other countries far away, and they make money out of it."

"So it's their job?" Jonathan asked quietly.

"Yes, exactly. So that's where they went. They're leaving far away for a long time."

"When are they coming back?" Jordyn asked.

"In three months." I answered hesitantly.

"How many days is that?" she asked.

I calculated in my head quickly. "About 90. But it'll pass by quicker if you sleep now." I suggested, pulling up the blankets over them.

They both nodded sleepily, and I quietly tip toed to the door. "Goodnight Jonathan! Goodnight Jordyn!" I whispered.

"Goodnight Abbie!" they whispered back as I closed the door behind me.

"How'd you do that?!"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I whirled around to see Heather, looking at me with an awed expression on her face.

"Do what? Gosh you scared me"

"Sorry" she apologized. "But how did you get them to sleep so quickly?! I couldn't even get them to shut up!" she explained as we walked down the stairs.