Chapter 31

-Niall's POV-

"Christ, I just wanna go back home" I whined for the zillionth time in the past two hours, trying my best to keep up with Liam, Louis and Harry, who had forced me to go out with them to the park to get some fresh air. They all ignored me and stopped in the middle of the grass in the clearing, where we had a perfect view of the playing structure for the smaller kids.

"No, you have to stop moping around the house all the time, it's quite depressing and frankly, kinda creepy, coming from you. You're scaring us" Harry said, and Liam aimed a quick punch into his stomach. "Shut up! Weren't s'posed to tell him that" I heard him whisper harshly, and Harry rolled his eyes. "He doesn't care, he knows it's true"

I grunted at them, rolling my eyes, and letting my knees drop into the dewy grass before rolling onto my stomach. "Seriously, Ni, you have to move on from her. Just like she's moving on from you right now, probably" Louis added, and I only had to count to three until I heard Louis' hiss of pain, unmistakeably indicating that Liam had slapped him on the back of the head. "What? Just trying to help!" he defended himself.

"C'mon Lou, have a heart! When Eleanor broke up with you we didn't go around forcing you to move on and get in your head that she was already with other guys! Have at least a bit of sympathy for Niall" Liam scolded, and Louis scoffed.

"Yeah, and maybe someone should have sooner! T'was the lowest point in my life, locking myself in my room and wheeping like a baby, Christ. And might I remind you that Abbie actually did come to me and brought me out-"

"That's it I'm out of here" I snapped, pushing myself up off the ground and swiping my hand uselessly across my now-damp shirt in a futile attempt to get it dry.

"Fuck, Niall I'm sorry mate, I didn't mean to-"

"S'okay Lou, I just wanna get back home" I waved off his apology and pulled my hood over my head as I headed off towards the house, hoping nobody would recognize me. I wasn't in a mood to be taking pictures and signing stuff and smiling.

I sunk deeper into my hood when I passed near the playing structures filled with kids, chanting a silent mantra of "please don't recognize me, please don't recognize me, please don't recognize me" in my head for some extra luck. Thankfully it worked and I managed to get back to the house without a hitch.

I slammed the door shut behind me and flopped down onto the couch, making no move to turn on the television or anything. I simply sat and stared blankly in front of me, trying to direct my thoughts anywhere but to Abbie.

For the hundredth time, I couldn't help but wonder why she left. What exactly had I done? Had I finally pushed her too hard, pushed her so hard she cracked? Was it directly related to something I did, or did she have a bigger motive? In her letter, she made it sound as if that was the case, but for all I knew she could've been bullshitting the letter just so I wouldn't feel bad about myself. It's something Abbie would do.

During the whole week, I'd been wondering where on Earth Abbie could've been staying. Was she staying in a hotel? Was she at a friend's? Was she at Paul's house? Was she at Kevin's? Was she in a hotel somewhere?

The idea had been eating me alive, and it came to the point where I stole Harry's phone when he wasn't paying attention and I called Heather to see if she'd heard any news from Abbie. Sadly, she hadn't, and I was back to square one.

However, since Paul had said earlier this afternoon that he had to drive Abbie to the social worker's office, I had my suspicions that she was staying at Paul's. I'd tried my best to get him to bring me along with him and Abbie but he had stood his ground, firmly repeating that she had to do this alone, that she needed time to sort her own things out without me interfering since I was the cause of most of those issues. I aleady knew that, but it still stung when he said it out loud.