Part II - Chapter XXIV: Limps & Leaving

"They've been calling it the 'double event'." Arthur kept his voice to a whisper, glancing every few moments at his wife to make sure she wasn't listening or watching. But she gave no indication that she knew they were even in the room as she bustled around the kitchen.

"I wonder why..." Charlie's voice dripped with sarcasm. The men were seated around the kitchen table, discussing the news that had been weighing on all their minds since that morning when the paper had come out. The thick afternoon sun glared through the kitchen window onto the thick table, sending shadows dancing along the walls with every movement.

"I thought deaths like these were the norm in Whitechapel," Eugene said, more of a question than an actual statement. He kept his tone level and impassioned. He knew that he had to do everything in his power to remain as inconspicuous as possible with his words. Especially with Charlie so curious and investigative. 

"Nothing's been normal since this Leather Apron fellow has shown up," Arthur said, leaning back in his chair. "At least the papers aren't treating the way they usually do. Prostitutes dying has never been any news at all, especially in Whitechapel. But with this killer on the loose, and the public riled up and  suddenly dying to get their hands on the papers, the editors are doing everything in their power to keep the frenzy going. Business has never been so good."

Charlie sneered and shook his head. "Essentially, they are sending the entire population in a frenzy of horror in a simple attempt to boost their sales. It's ridiculous. Did you know that a butcher was nearly trampled the other day because he was seen holding a bloody knife? And just last week, a prostitute was mobbed by journalists for information on the dead. People are running scared. The streets are deserted at night and even during the day, no one dawdles around or chats on corners like they used to." 

"Thankfully Leather Apron has only targeted prostitutes in the Whitechapel district." Arthur added. "If he decided, for some reason, to make his way out of the district and into higher classed areas, then we'd have a real problem at hand. As it is, people are scared because they simply enjoy the thrill. No one will be truly frightened until something more drastic happens. At the moment, it is just entertainment to them."

Eugene glanced between the two men and leaned his chair back, balancing precariously on the back legs. "Then let's hope things don't get more drastic."

"Drastic?" Evelyn turned to face them, her forehead wrinkled up. "What is drastic?"

"The change I'll be facing as soon as I leave," Eugene quickly answered. Evelyn had obviously only tuned in for his last couple of words, but he did not want to give her any reason to doubt him. "I don't think I'll ever get used to eating food that isn't yours. The quality could never possibly measure up."

Evelyn's attention had considerably waned after hearing the word leave. "Leave? You're leaving?" 

"I said I'd be gone as soon as I was able to, and I believe that I've recovered enough to find my own home."

"You're not going anywhere, Eugene, until that leg of yours has fully healed," Evelyn stated, pursing her lips and returning to her oven as if that was the final word.

"I don't think my leg will ever heal," Eugene said, looking down at his outstretched limb. It had never been the same sine he had made the flute. He had known that the repercussions of its fabrication would be intense, but he never thought that it would have permanently damaged him in such a handicapping way. There was no pain, but the limp was conspicuous and the cane was a bore to carry around whenever he went out

"I'm sure you just need a little more time..." Evelyn said.

"Actually, time would do nothing," Arthur said. "I've looked at it and there is no injury or wound. No bone is broken and no muscle is strained. In fact, it's rather strange. There's nothing to indicate any malformation, and yet...he limps."