thirty-four - relationship confirmation

Começar do início

"Of course I did! I'm not an idiot. We all came to confess about what we'd done. We're doing what's right. That's why we're refusing to go to hospital right now for our injuries, because things need to be sorted out and said before Ian can butt in again. Flora is in immediate danger and it's time we come clean about everything." My hands found their way to my hair, tugging it by the roots. There was something about the sudden pain of something physical that could sharpen my senses, help me focus. "And I know you don't think she's in danger at this exact moment because we've brought Ian to you, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something before he got here. They share the same house-"

"We come down harshly on those who break the law," Interrupted Officer Miller. He was nothing like his gangly nephew at reception. He was broad and sturdily built. A short man with a thick head of salt and pepper hair and a face that had frowned so often that there were deep grooves embedded on his skin despite the fact he had probably just reached his forties. Though I hated to admit it, he was fairly intimidating. I didn't like feeling intimidated. "Especially here. In a community minded place that has a smaller police force than most other towns, when serious crimes are committed we are put with the task of ensuring the public feel safe. That despite our size, we can protect them and stamp out those who might influence or encourage others. As the Chief of the police department here, I feel it particularly my responsibility to see it through. Now as you've confessed, this will undoubtedly help all of your cases, but that does by no means make me trust your word. Your face was familiar around here long before today, and I have no doubt it will be long after. Flora's father was a friend of mine, a colleague. I always knew there was something off about his disappearance, but when his wife received that odd farewell email she insisted we stop wasting our time. That he must have regretted their fairly recent marriage and had fled. Now you tell me it was murder, provide us with a recorded confession and deliver the very man to our doorstep. For that I am beyond grateful. Truly. But Parker Heywood, that does not mean you may command me to do anything with my team. It does not mean you tell me who and who is not in danger. Most importantly, it does not mean you get out of this unscathed. We will sort this out on our own terms, and you will be staying here until I tell you otherwise. Do you understand?"

I opened my mouth, shut it again. What did you say to something like that? Agreeing seemed like the best way to go, but everything in me screamed that I had to make him understand. Had to convert him to my way of thinking. Convince him that Flora needed immediate assistance. "I-"

I was saved from answering as the door flew open. The handle whacked loudly as it connected with the wall behind it. Standing in the doorway was Officer Miller's nephew, and saying he looked shaken was an understatement. After a few hours of Ian's confinement, I would've thought he'd have calmed down by now. I'd said he was unfit for the job out of anger and impatience - he'd just been moving so slowly - but if he was still a bundle of nerves after everything was calming down then perhaps I'd been right.

Then I noticed the phone clutched in his hand.

"What are you doing down here?" Officer Miller hissed as he got to his feet. I couldn't help feeling a little bad for his nephew under that intimidating gaze. He already looked scared enough to lose control of his bladder, never mind being faced with his uncle's anger. "I told you to stay out front. To do your job."

"But- but you said to come here if it was an emergency." He stuttered, eyes still as wide as saucers. He glanced furtively at me before looking back to his uncle.

"Yes. I also specified that you go straight to Officer McLean if any such case occurred. He is more than capable of grouping together a few men and handling whatever minor situation it is on his own. He does not need my consent, I trust him. I suggest you listen to my full instruction rather than just part of it next time or you might find yourself without a job, Ben."