➳ Chapter Nineteen - Nervous ✑

En başından başla

"As Jason's replacement?" I teased. That gained me a chuckle.

"No, not like that I meant if you wanted to come with me," he replied.

"Like a date?" I asked.

"Well yeah," he replied nervously.

"I just messing with you, I'd love to go with you," I replied. "Why were you so nervous to ask me?" I asked.

"I guess I can't quite seem to figure you out, I'm always on the edge of my seat when it comes to you, I never know what to expect," hr replied.

"Is that such a bad thing?" I asked. "Sometimes surprises are a good thing," I added.

"Maybe you're right, how about we finish up here and head home?" he suggested.

"Okay," I replied.

After that we just talked and he finished his dinner and I ate the rest of my cake. I helped him get his things and we headed out to his car and he drove us home.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

"Alright well I better get back to work," Xavier said as we walked into the house.

"Good night then," I replied.

"Night," he briefly replied.

He headed to his office and I went down stairs to talk to Jessie and Abigail.

"Hello, is anyone still awake?" I askes as I was almost at the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah, we're awake," Jessie replied.

"Oh good, have you eaten anything yet?" I asked.

"Actually no, I was just about to give her cereal," he replied.

"I made mac and cheese earlier if you'd like," I said.

"Actually that's Abigail's favorite, thanks a lot," he replied.

"Abby, Nicole brought you're favorite," he said calling her over to us.

"Thank you," she said with a small grin on her face.

"You really didn't have to go to any trouble," Jessie said after Abigail headded over to the couch.

"It was no trouble at all, I didn't want it to go to waste so I thought I offer," I explained.

"Well thanks," he replied.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking but how are you even divorced?" I asked trying to make small talk. "I mean I don't really know you that well but you seem like an overall good guy," I added.

"Well sometimes that isn't good enough for some people, I mean I'm not perfect or anything I try my best you know," he replied. I could hear the tone in his voice change. It sounded like a mix of anger and sadness.

"We were young and in love and well we weren't exactly careful a hundred percent of the time so she ended up getting pregnant," he explained looking over to Abigail to make sure she wasn't listening in.

"I did what I thought I was supposed to do, I stuck with her and we got married but after we had Abbey everything changed it was the happiest we'd even been," he said with sadness in his eyes.

"I went to college and she stayed at home, we decided that take turns and I kept asking if she was sure but she insisted that I should focus on my studies and get a good job for the baby and I did," he said.

"After a lot of part time jobs I met Xavier at a party or something, I don't think I even wanted to go but I'm glad I did, we got to talking and he offered me a job," he continued.

"Long story short, I worked a lot of long hours and she could have said at any point she wasn't happy but instead she chose to have an affair with our daughter's kindergarten teacher," he said rubbing his hands over his face.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you, I honestly can't believe someone could do something like that," I replied.

"No I'm sorry if I bored you with my life story," he said with a laugh. "I didn't mean to unload all of that on you I just-" he continued before I cut him off.

"Of course not, I don't mind listening but I don't think that your story is over just yet, you should just have faith and hope that everything will work itself out," I said.

"Thanks it's nice to have someone to talk to, I don't really have any friends these days, everyone from highschool went off to live their life and I was always too busy to really meet new people in college," he replied.

"Well believe it or not I myself have had trouble making friends until I got to New York so I'm honored to be one of yours," I said and he laughed a little.

"I should probably get Abigail to bed," he said.

"I'll see you guys in the morning," I replied heading back upstairs.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

I'm sorry it took me so long to update, I just wasn't very motivated so I took a break. Anyway I hope you all enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about Jessie's life.

1320 words

Picture of Jessie at the top