Chapter 16

Rory sat down at her computer to work on her book.  She opened up the chapter on which she last worked.  She couldn't focus and her thoughts drifted.  She thought about Logan and the baby girl she was carrying.  She wondered how things would work out.  Before she knew it, her mind wandered to last night.  She smiled when she thought of Finn: dessert for dinner, watching Roadies, and the kiss that almost happened.  She recalled how sexy he looked in his suit.  What the hell is wrong with me?  Why am I so confused about all of this? She thought.  The sound of Rory's phone cut through her thoughts like a siren in the dead of night.

Paris: Can you meet tonight?

Rory: When and where?

Paris: 7:30 at the usual place by my house.

Rory: See you then.

She hoped Paris had some good, concrete information about Logan.  Crap!  If I want to get there on time, I need to get ready now, she thought.

Finn didn't think he was ever going to make it to the end of the workday.  He still had a lot of ground to cover with the West coast office, but he was done with them for today.  He needed a break, and he reckoned they did as well.  Sitting in his office, he tried to check his email and was unsuccessful.  Now that he was alone, the only thing, or rather person, he could think about was Rory.  She looked so beautiful.  There's just something about her.  The shameless flirting and sexual tension you could cut with a knife, and I wanted to kiss her so much last night.  Why the hell didn't I?  Our lips were close enough to touch - his thoughts were interrupted by his secretary.

"You wanted me to let you know when it was close to 5," she said.

Finn snapped back to the real world.  "Oh, yes, thank you, Meghan!"

He flashed a smile and glanced back at the computer screen.  None of this was important enough right now.  He was meeting Colin at 8.  He welcomed the distraction of drinks with one of his best friends.  It had been far too long since he'd seen him.

"Have a good night," he said to Meghan on his way out.

"See you tomorrow," she replied and smiled at him.  Her eyes followed him as he left.  He felt her watching him, and in the past, he'd considered pursuing her.  He knew it would only lead to problems, and he didn't really see himself as the Don Draper type, even though he was single.  "Don't dip your nib in the company ink," his father always said.  He climbed into the car and gave his driver the destination.

Rory scrolled through various news stories on the train.  Her phone buzzed when a text from Logan arrived.

Logan: Been thinking of you all day, Ace!  I'd love to whisk you away this weekend!  Just the two of us, anywhere you want to go....."

Rory: That's very sweet of you, but I'm not sure if we're at that point yet.

Logan: You can have your own bed, or room if that would make you more comfortable.  Please say yes....

Rory: Can I think about it?  It does sound nice, but I just don't know.

Logan: Of course.  You make your list.  At least, let me take you out tomorrow night.

Rory: Ok.  That I can do.

She knew she couldn't avoid him forever, but she wanted to know what was going on before getting too deep.  She checked the time and saw she still had an hour before she was scheduled to arrive.

Rory: How are the granola heads?

Finn: An uphill battle, Love.  How are you on this lovely evening?

Rory: Meeting Paris for dinner.

Finn: Punishing yourself?

Rory: No.  We've got some important business to discuss.

Finn: Going to tell her all about me, Darling?

Rory: Yes, Finn.  It's always about you!

Finn: In my experience, it usually is.

Rory: What in the world am I going to do with you?

Finn: That's an inviting question.

Rory: Oh, Finn.....

Finn: Yes, Love?

Rory: I'm at my stop.  Have a good night!

Finn: Have fun with Paris....if that's possible!

Rory arrived at the restaurant to find Paris still outside.  She was pacing in front, talking on her phone.

"Maybe one of your new A-list friends with the bags of money can help you out!"

(Pause)

"Good luck with that, Doyle!" she said and hung up.

"Hey, Paris, are you ok?"

"Sure.  Peachy.  Let's go inside," she said without another word.

They were shown to a high table that had the privacy of a booth with the high cushioned divider surrounding them.  The awkward silence after witnessing Paris's phone call with Doyle created tension at the table.  After they order, Rory can't take the suspense any longer.  She hoped a subject change would help Paris move beyond her spat with Doyle.

"So, what did you find out?" she asked.

"You've finally learned to cut the chit chat after all of these years," Paris replied.

"Yes, Paris.  I know how you operate.  So?"

"I managed to make a few calls for some tidbits of information about your blonde Pete Campbell," Paris said.

"And?" Rory asked.

"As far as I can tell, there's no paperwork to start the divorce proceedings, although that's nothing usual given the circumstances.  I'm sure there's a prenup, and they'd want to keep this quiet.  So, it's likely, they'd work out any other issues before filing."

"Was there anything to indicate the latter is the case?"

"Not really, aside from a single meeting with one of Mitchum's legal team.  I'm guessing it was the architect of the said prenup, which I couldn't get ahold of, but knowing the Huntzbergers, it's iron-clad," Paris replied.

"I've already figured that much, Paris," Rory said.

"Well, Rory, why did you bother asking me?"

"I was hoping you'd find something aside from the obvious.  I can't snoop around, and I don't have the connections you've got," Rory said sounding a little defeated.

"Oh, ye of little faith.  After the legal dead end, I went in a different direction and found out that she is supposed to be coming to Hartford this weekend."

Rory's face fell, and she felt the tears welling up.

"I don't think anyone knows about any of this.  If Mitchum knew, he'd have someone following him, which is good news for you," Paris continued hoping to prevent a full emotional break-down.

"I guess, but it doesn't sound like there's any sort of movement toward a divorce.  Why couldn't he have said that when I asked him?" Rory said, thinking out loud.  "I wish I knew what that prenup said."

"If you get your hands on a copy, I'd be happy to look it over," Paris offered.

"That's not a likely situation," Rory replied calmly.

Rory's attention was drawn to a voice that stood out above the crowd.  She put her finger to her lips to let Paris know to keep quiet.  She heard the voice again and immediately knew the owner.