"What happened?" he asked, his face turning dark. He reached to touch the cut, but I moved my face away.

"It's nothin'."

He watched me silently for a few seconds. I knew exactly what was coming.

"Did you do what I said?" he asked sternly. I didn't answer. "Kayden, what did he say?"

"He was moving sketchy, so I walked away, but he tried dragging me back so–"

"You didn't..." he trailed off in disbelief then he kissed his teeth, looking frustrated. "You didn't fight him, did you?"

I didn't reply.

Dad slammed his hand on the table. "Dammit, Kayden!"

"Self-defence." I shrugged.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "You should never mess with a guy like him. I already told you ."

"He provoked me. What was I supposed to do?"

"Listen to me," he bellowed. "The last thing you want to do is piss off a man with power. Trust me. I know. He'll just come after you. Then what?"

I finished my cereal and stood up to place my bowl in the sink. I could wash it up later, my body was too tired. "Then I'll handle it when the time comes."

Dad's eyes were piercing as he crossed his arms. "I'm not getting involved with your fuckery, Kayden. When shit goes south, don't come to me about it."

"Alright, I won't."

Just then Mum walked in. She wore her dressing gown and fluffy slippers, looking refreshed and energetic.

"Morning," she chimed.

"Morning," I said, giving her a kiss on the forehead. Mum had no idea about what I got up to in my spare time. Dad only knew because he caught me out one time, and has tried to get me to stop ever since. Lately, I've gotten into some altercations, but luckily Dad was there to cover for me when Mum grew curious. It was better that she never found out.

She switched on the kettle before turning to Dad. "Shouldn't you get going?"

"And leave you?" Dad feigned a frown.

Mum laughed and wrapped her arms around him. "How else will you provide for this family, Marcus?"

His hands held her waist. "I could quit my job and still provide for you." Mum cooed, and they leaned in for a kiss. I looked away. They were always overly affectionate. No one should ever have to see their parents suck face like this.

"I met Kayden's friend yesterday," Mum said with a smile.

Dad raised a brow. "Which friend is this?"

"Rebecca. Beautiful young girl from work."

Dad hummed and turned to me. "Sure she ain't your girlfriend?"

"You'd know if she was," I said.

Mum sighed. "It's a shame she didn't stay long. She looked like she was worried about you."

Worried? What would Rebecca be worried about? My extreme brain fog stopped me from recollecting anything, and it frustrated me that I was missing something crucial.

I eventually went back upstairs and took my phone off charge. It was still before midday and she was probably at sixth form but I wanted to try my luck. I called Rebecca's number, and it rang through to voicemail. I tried once more, and she busied the call.

Fuck.

She didn't busy my calls anymore, so either she was pissed at me, or she was busy. I knew it was the former.