Chapter 19

There may be grammatical/spelling errors ahead.

Chapter 19 – Coincidence

I took a sip from my coffee and stared at him, who was sitting in front of me. "Seriously, I am sure that all four of you had planned this out," I said and he looked at me confused. "What do you mean?" he wondered. "I mean, first Onew, then Minho, afterward Key and now finally you, Taemin" I listed with my fingers.

"How can all of this be a coincidence? The same coffee shop, the same seats and even the same food! I said disbelieved and Taemin didn't say anything, instead, he laughed amused. "I am also sure that we have assembled ourselves here to talk about Jonghyun" I added, knowing that every time one of them calls me, it has something to do with him.

Being suddenly called by Taemin and being asked by him to meet up at a coffee shop was definitely not a surprise. After all, it's not the first time one of Jonghyun's friend had invited me over for a chat. "You are right. And let me clarify, I didn't even know that the others had requested you to meet them here before. It's a mere coincidence."

"Anyway, what do you have to say?" I asked and smiled. Jonghyun is truly fortunate to have such dependable friends. "You should know that Jonghyun will move next to your apartment today," he said. "I know" I replied. "Really? How?" he asked surprised. "I coincidently happened to overhear their conversation two days ago" I explained.

"Could you sneak in his place?" he suddenly asked. "What?" I said shocked. "I don't want you to do something dangerous. You just need to look for one thing and come back" he explained and I shook my head, refusing his favor. "Why should I do that?" I asked. "I am sure that you will find some kind of hint in his apartment." He said.

"What kind of hint?" I questioned. "I am sure that you have already caught on. Knowing you, you must have followed him at least once too," he explained. "You surveyed him too?" I asked stunned and he nodded. "His belongings have been moved there yesterday. You will probably find something in there"

"But... isn't it a bit too much? I mean, we first stalked him and now we want to investigate his possessions. If he knew what we are doing, he probably would be creeped out" I voiced, trying to understand his view too. "Sure, if you don't want to find out," he said and stood up, wearing his sunglasses. Just when he was about to turn around, I grabbed his wrist, preventing him from going and stood up too. "Alright. I'll do it" He looked at me with a cheeky smile, knowing that he had won while I sighed.

At the same day, around 3 p.m., I looked out of the window, waiting to see whether Jonghyun was coming. At this point, I felt like a complete stalker. Suddenly, I saw him coming towards this apartment and I quickly got ready by wearing my shoes. I slightly opened the door and checked where he is and quickly closed it again after I heard footsteps.

3.2.1. After I finished my mental counting, I opened the door and was face to face with him, who was opening the door from the apartment next door. "Hey, Jonghyun. What a coincidence to see you right now" I said. Right, "coincidence". "Hey, Mina. I am sure that you have already heard about me moving next door" he said casually and the door opened. "I did" I replied.

Silence.

An awkward silence came between of us as he was waiting for me to go, wherever I was supposed to go, but I didn't move. "Do you have something to say?" he wondered. This idiot is supposed to invite me in. "No," I said. "Then what are you waiting for?" he questioned. I looked at him uncertainly. "I am coming in"

I stepped in and Jonghyun looked at me cheerfully. "You could have said sooner if you wanted to enter" I looked around and noticed that the structure of the apartment was almost identical to mine. "What was the point of moving when you are just next door?" I asked. "There is," he said but didn't elaborate on his reasons further.

"What? Afraid that I'd find out something?" I asked, knowing the answer already. He didn't reply, instead, he walked to a room, I assume is his bedroom, and came back after he had dropped his bag there. "Do want to eat something?"

"Do you remember what you told me on the second day of last semester? When we ditched school?" I asked, ignoring his question. "You said something to me that day." I voiced, recalling his words clearly. "I remember," he said, almost sounding like a whisper.

I definitely won't give up until you're mine.

I remember it crystal clear. Back then, I thought that he might be lunatic to say that to a person, whom he had met for the first time, but who knew that would be stuck in my mind till now. "I-"

"Let me help you to make something," I said, interrupting him and walked to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and scanned for ingredients. "You don't have anything" I examined. "I'll quickly go to the market and buy something. Just stay here" he said and grabbed his coat. Soon he left and I was all alone.

For some seconds, I sat on the sofa, wondering if I should do it or not. Once I had made up my mind, to do as Taemin had asked me to do, I stood up and walked to his room, not wasting any second. Inside his room were a simple bed and a few cupboards. I could see that he had already started to organize his belongings, but there were still many cartons placed around.

I opened the boxes and looked inside. Mostly, I only found everything I had seen when he lived with me. Pictures, some decorative pieces, books, his laptop, and many other things. After fifteen minutes of searching, I realized that he would come back soon and I knew I had to stop my search now.

Frustrated, I ran my hand through my hair as I stared at the ceiling. Just as I was about to leave the room, I noticed that a small box was placed under the bed. I quietly laughed to myself about my stupidly of not to having checked there first. The apartment is almost empty, there isn't a good place to hide something except under the bed.

I was a bit hesitant to open it first, but after taking a deep breath, I opened it. Inside of it were some books and an old article from a newspaper. That's it? I opened the books and scanned them through, only to notice that these books were about musical education. Next, I took the newspaper article and the first thing I noticed was the date. 14.06.2014. Why would he keep such an old information?

I knew that I didn't have enough time, so I closed the box and placed it back to where it is. Before leaving the room, I made sure that I had placed everything back to the position it had been and closed the lights. Of course, I had taken the newspaper article with me and put it in my bag. Right after I finished, my phone rang and I picked it up after seeing that Jonghyun was the caller.

"What's taking you so long?" I asked as I continued to examine his living room. "Actually, I have to head somewhere. I am really sorry" he said. "Where?" I asked, but I didn't hear any reply from the other line. "It's fine, I'll be fine alone" I added since I had noticed that he wouldn't tell me anything anyway.

I hung and walked out of his apartment with a heavy heart. For the following half an hour, I lay on my bed, not doing anything. Strangely, my aunt had called me a few times, but I didn't pick up intentionally. She never has good reasons to call. At that moment, I remembered the newspaper article which was in my bag and soon, that piece of paper was in my hands.

My hands trembled as I read the article over and over again. Suddenly, everything made sense. His strange behavior, why he stood in front of that house every day. The only thought that was occupied in my mind was that I had to get to him right now. Without a second thought, I stood up from my bed, wore my shoes and ran out.

Young man dies in a car accident while saving another person

Lee Eun Byul (35) definitely didn't know that she would see his son Lee Min Jae (18) for the last time on the night of the 3rd June. A tragedy occurred when he was coming back from his part-time job. When a car was about to hit a passerby, he rescued him by pulling him away and instead, he collided with the car.

Lee Min Jae died two hours later in the hospital. The person, whom he had saved, has remained unknown as the police declined to reveal his identity.

End of Chapter 19