Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20!!!!!

*Katie-Anne’s POV*

Ever since the birthday party, everything has been perfect. My dad was now very open with his acceptance of Will, and the boys all would go play football in the backyard, and Mom, Molly, Trish, and I would lay in the sun, enjoying life and watching the boys play.

One day, while the boys were playing, Trish seemed distracted, and uneasy.

“What’s wrong, Trish?” I signed.

“Oh, nothing. It’s not my place to say.” she answered.

“Trish, you can say it. What’s going on?” Mom interjected.

“Well, I know it’s not my place to say, but I’m worried about you and Will.”

“Why? What’s going on?” I signed.

“It’s just....you two spend every waking moment together, and I’m afraid about what will happen in a month.”

I started to panic.

“What’s happening in a month?” Mom signed.

“Caroline, the kids have to go back to school next month.”

“Oh.” Mom said.

“Now, I don’t know what you’re planning on doing, but Katie and Will are very close and I’m not sure if separating them once they’ve had the chance to get even CLOSER is the best idea.”

“So, you’re saying that Will and I need to break up?” I asked, feeling the lump in my throat tighten.

“Unless you can think of another way.” Trish said sadly. “Maybe your family could move here.”

“As appealing as that sounds, it’s not possible. Jonah and I both have jobs.” my mom said.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes, threatening to spill over. I was going to have to leave Will. I looked over at Will. He was smiling and laughing and playing football with the boys. He looked over at me with a brilliant smile, and I felt my heart starting to break.

Katie-Anne, you will NOT cry over this boy. Life will go on with or without him....

I stopped at that thought. Without him? I know it’s dramatic, but WITHOUT him?

I looked back at Will, only slightly aware of the few escaped tears rolling down my face.

His smile faltered, and then disappeared. He started to walk toward me, but I shook my head. He stopped and I got up and walked out to the barn. I sat on the stack of hay next to the pasture. I hugged my knees to my chest. I rested my forehead on my knees, and let my tears fall. Daisy came up to me and put her paw on my arm, trying to comfort me. I pat her head and smiled sadly.

“Hey there, girl. Ya know, you’re the ONE thing I’m absolutely sure of.” 

“So what does that mean about us?” Will came through the barn door.

I looked at him and my heart broke a little more. A fresh stream of tears found their to my eyes, but this time, there was no stopping them from falling.

“Katie-” Will stepped toward me, but I took a step back and shook my head.

“Don’t.” I whispered.

“Katie, What’s wrong?” 

“We can;t keep lying to ourselves. This isn’t going to work.” I said, my voice straining with the tears.

“Katie, what are you talking about? I don’t understand.”

“Dammit, Will! We’re not gonna be able to stay together. You know that, right?! Do you honestly think that my parents would let me stay here while they went back home?! Face it, Will. We’re going to be separated and there’s nothing we can do about it!” I yelled, my voice hysterical and harsh.