t w e l v e

2 0 1 6

2 0 1 6

Effy quickly rushed into her first-period class History. Taking her usual empty seat next to Bridget who held a mirror up and fixed her makeup just as the final bell rang.

"Thank you, Miss Williams, for finally gracing us with your presence." Mr. Johnson said with a bored expression behind his wire-thin glasses. His bald head shined in the dimly lit room from the projector next to him. Flashing the day's lesson.

She murmured a small apology, and he began.

After a few moments of listening to Mr. Johnson's painfully deadpan voice drone on about the westward expansion, Bridget leaned over casually. "I'm surprised to see you survived," she whispered teasingly. Effy exhaled heavily as she hoisted her bag onto the desk and searched for her binder and pencil bag. "Did you get everything?"

Effy nodded.

"Uh-huh, questions, quotes and..." she paused. "crap!" She shuffled through her bag desperately for the photo, only to remember she had completely forgotten to take one.

Bridget frowned in confusion. "What?" She asked as Mr. Johnson changed slides.

"I didn't get the photo." Effy murmured under her breath.

"What do you mean you didn't get the photo?"

"I mean I didn't get it." she clarified, slightly annoyed (but mainly with herself.) "I forgot it."

"You forgot to take the photo? How'd you forget to take the photo? That's, like, the main reason why you went over?"

"I know. I know. We were talking for so long, I guess... I-I guess I just forgot."

"Quiet!" Mr. Johnson called out before continuing.

With her hands pressed flat on the desk, Effy nervously glanced at a grinning Bridget.

"Oh, my God!" she whisper-shouted. "So you did reconnect?"

"Shut up."

"Did you reeeeaally get to know him all over again?" Her eyebrows waggled. Nudging her shoulder teasingly.

"You're disgusting." Effy brushed off as she shoved Bridget away.

"I know," She smiled, looking pleased with herself. "And you love it!" Effy scoffed and rolled her eyes. Her lips twitched into a smile as she scribbled into her notebook. "Oh, btw, Veronica kept texting me asking a bunch of questions about you guys last night."

Effy furrowed her brows. "What do you mean? Like what?" she asked curiously. It wasn't unusual for Veronica to talk about Effy, or any of the others, behind their backs. But asking about Dean? Why?