Eight: Post-it

It's been over two weeks since Evetta and I first had sex, and we've done it at least once each day.

It's amazing.

I'm one hundred percent sure that Evetta is the girl that I want to love, to fuck, to be with for the rest of my life, but before I propose, I have to get this out of the way.

"Come on Caleb, you've driven all this way... just go inside, and face them," I say to to myself under my breath, giving myself a mini pep talk.

Finally, after sitting in my car for over ten minutes and staring at the front of the veterinary clinic, I cut the engine, get out of the car and lock it, and walk up to the front door.

When I walk into the waiting room, the receptionist, Maria, looks up to greet whoever entered the office.

"Good morning, welcome to— holy fuck, Caleb?" she shrieks.

"Yeah," I say, my cheeks on fire, because everyone in the waiting room is now paying attention to me, except for a young man who is wearing a pair of headphones, listening to MCR's "The Ghost of You"; it's that loud, I can hear it from where I'm standing, at least five feet away from him.

One of the vets, who is also the owner of the clinic — Eli — rushes out to see what's wrong.

"Maria, what— Caleb?" he asks, as if he can't believe that I'm real.

"Yeah," I respond lamely.

"We thought you'd never come back! That you were severely injured! Had major brain damage, or were physically—"

"No. I wasn't emotionally ready, I guess."

Yet another one of my colleagues — Amanda — comes out into the reception area.

"Caleb? Oh, my god!"

Suddenly, something hits me.

I've been out for over a year; what if I've been replaced?

"Um... Eli... Do I still have a—"

"Job? Fuck, yes! We need as many vets as we can get!"

"Yer fuckin' righ', I've been wai'n' her' fer' two hours!" one man shouts.

We all turn to look at him. He has an orange kitten with white stripes in his lap. He's young, and, and about Evetta's complexion; he has the same hair, springy spirals shooting in every direction, except that Evetta has the ends of her hair dyed turquoise.

I remember pulling on that hair last night—

Stop.

Why must I think of her everywhere I go? To be honest, he doesn't look like her; it's just that when you're in love, everything reminds you of that person.

I turn to look at Eli.

"When can I start working?" I ask him.

"Next Tuesday. We need to get everything in order for you."m

"Okay. Thanks, Eli. Bye, guys." I say to him, rushing back out of the clinic, relieved that the encounter is over. I don't miss the 'I'm glad he's okay and back, but what the fuck just happened?' look on all of their faces.

That actually went a lot better than I thought it would.

Now, I feel like less of a spineless bitch. Now, I feel a little more deserving of Evetta.