Six: Patience

It's been two days since I found the rings. I still have no idea what to do.

Should I propose? Is it too soon? What if she just isn't interested in getting married?

The boxes are now safely tucked under my bed.

I've gotten back all of my memories, or, at least I think I have. At least, there are no more major gaps which I cannot account for. However, I can't know if I got back all of my memories for sure, because if I don't remember it, I probably don't realise that it's missing.

Anyway, back to a much more important matter; Evetta. She invited me to her house today, and didn't even have to give me directions; I remember exactly where it is.

I remember her reaction to the news:

"Really? Oh, my god, Caleb! I'm so happy for you!"

My lack of memory worried her more than she let on; I know it.

Briefly, I wonder what I should wear; I mean, I am eating dinner with her. Then again, does it matter? I'm her boyfriend, and she didn't dress up when she came over.

Yes, because that was a sleepover; this is a date.

I am on the verge of pulling my hair out because I'm trying to pick a fucking outfit to wear. Isn't this the kind of shit that girls and women do? Yet here I am, whipped as fuck, freaking out because I'm afraid that my girlfriend won't like my clothes.

But then again, I know Evetta; she really won't give a shit.

I decide to stop listening to my twisted head, and start listening to my instincts.

I pull on a pair of jeans with a black t-shirt, and leave the house with a bag of overnight clothes over my shoulder, with the ring zipped up in the pocket. Just in case.

***

Dinner was amazing.

Evetta made her pumpkin soup, as well as some kind of vegetable pasta. She ended up asking me to sleep over, and we had a pillow fight, which was a lot of fun. The next thing I knew, she was fast asleep.

Today, I want to go out with her; maybe go shopping with her. The thought makes me grin; shopping with Evetta isn't like anything else that I've ever experienced. Her commentary on the other shoppers is absolutely hilarious, and she's just as fidgety as I am; sometimes, we play hide-and-seek in the clothes.

"What do you want to do today?" she asks me.

"I don't know; go shopping?"

"Play hide-and-seek?"

I laugh.

"Yes, Eve. Play hide-and-seek."

She freezes, then looks at me.

"What did you just call me?"

"Eve."

She smiles at me; another one of those smiles that warm your insides.

I now know why her number is saved under the name "Eve"; that's what I used to call her. That's how she introduced herself to me; she said that she preferred Eve.

I prefer Evetta, but I understand why she'd want to use a shorter version of a three syllable name. Additionally, I just wanted to make her happy.

"You remember," she says softly."

"Yes."

She kisses me, sweetly, and then it gets more aggressive; we're both fighting for dominance.

Before long, were tongue-fucking each other; I can feel myself getting hard... and I pull back. This just doesn't feel like the right time.

She grins at me then gets up, her grin broadening when she notices my hard-on. I feel a little proud, knowing that I'm turning her on right now.

"Come on, Cal. Hurry up and get ready; we're going shopping."

***

We went to the same place that I got her doll from. Apparently, she knows it, too.

After two hours, she bought skin care and hair care products and the weird, natural deodorant, along with a pair of ripped jeans, these weird-looking sandals with strings, a "bralette" (whatever the fuck that is), and some makeup shit. I did notice that she only picked up blue eyeliner (which looks really nice on her) and lip makeup, i.e. lipstick, some moisturising shit for your mouth, (balm or gloss; I don't remember) and lip liner (what the fuck does lip liner even do?). She doesn't wear heavy makeup.

"Why did you buy sandals? We're in the middle of January." I say to her, as we walk side by side, back to her car parked down the street.

"I bought them for the summer. When is the last time you saw a decent pair of sandals in England?"

She has a point there.

"So, where do you want to go next?" I ask her.

"Trafalgar Square," she says, as we reach the car.

"Okay," I reply; she tosses the things on the backseat, and we drive off.

Evetta seems very excited to be going there with me; she doesn't stop talking about it, and by the time we're there, she's pretty much screaming in my ear about the last time we came here, and how I got stuck on one of the lions, and almost broke my ankle jumping down. How embarrassing.

"Eve, you're screaming, baby," I say to her.

"Oh. Whops. Sorry. I'm just excited."

"I get it; I'm excited too."

By the time we're out in the square, I can feel the elation bubbling up inside of me. Just being here with her, while she is so happy and excited, makes me happy. This moment, walking around a square full of strangers, being watched by great, stone lions, just feels so... perfect.

What if... now is the time? The time to propose?

I have the ring on me, zipped up in my right coat pocket. I put my hand over the pocket, just touching the zipper, not pulling it down.

No.

I let the zipper go.

I look up at her, and she's smiling at me.

"Come on, Cal; come out of dream world," she says, giggling. "Lets play on the lions, but try not to twist your ankle this time."

Her happiness is infectious; she has me grinning once more. She skips off, and I follow her.

She isn't ready, and if I'm going to be honest with myself, I'm not ready. I'll do this when the time is right.

I'm just going to have to have a little bit more patience.