08| The Truth Hurts

Jumin doesn't speak for 10 minutes.

He stares at the files, completely still, and completely silent. He scrolls through the documents, looking paler with each swipe.

The normally expressionless CEO swallows hard, turning to look at Seven with creased eyebrows.

"This is real?" He finally asks, his voice hoarse. It sounds like someone had punched him in the throat.

Seven straightens his posture, even though Jumin wasn't ordering him to do anything. His voice is naturally laced with an underline that makes you want to do anything he asks; the voice of true leader.

And now, his leader's whole world is crashing down, tossed and upheaved in a matter of seconds.

Unsure of the boundaries, Seven comes closer to Jumin's side and crosses his arms. He glances at the screen one more time. "Yeah, unfortunately it is. I checked the police records too."

Jumin winces.

"...Your father paid them off." He says gently, hoping Jumin can keep his composure.

He falls back into his silent stare, and frankly, it creeps Seven out. He isn't saying anything at all, just glancing back and fourth between the screen. He acts as if staring at the accusations enough times would make them disappear.

Seven decides to speak up again. "I'm sorry Jumin, I didn't know or else I would have told you sooner."

"It's.. not your fault." Jumin sighs, leaning back in the chair with a solemn expression. "I just don't know what to do."

Seven holds his tongue. How can he word this correctly?

"I think you know what to do, you just don't want to." He says soothingly, or at least, as well as he can. He's never been the person you go to for comfort. That's Zen's job.

Jumin exhales, seeming to be on the verge of panic. "I'm disgusted, frankly."

Seven raises his gaze. "What do you mean?"

He leans his elbows against the desk, rubbing his temples gently. Jumin taps his forefingers against the desk nervously,  revealing another heart wrenching experience.

"I caught him once, a few years ago." Jumin points to the first name on the list, his expression filled with guilt. "He said he would never do it again, but yet..." Jumin trails off, the other 7 names flashing through the screen speak louder than words.

"If only I didn't turn a blind eye... maybe this never would have happened."

Seven almost feels like relaxing until Jumin suddenly slams his fist against the desk.

"Dammit!" He shouts, standing up from the chair.

"This is horrific. Sexual assault is not okay... and now there are 7 victims? This is going to be a huge mess." Jumin surprisingly ruffles his hair in an anxious fit of rage. "How is this going to look for the company? The public can't know the Chairman did this to his own employees. It will be terrible publicity." He pauses, finally calm enough to stick his hands in his pockets. "But this can't slide by unpunished. I'm sure those girls have been emotionally scarred."

Seven feels torn. His best friend has an incredibly hard decision to make, he knows the Chairman himself and it feels like he's been betrayed. Not to mention he's going against his company's wishes, basically treason. But He can't even try to understand how it feels for Jumin.