Chapter 24: Mathias

Start from the beginning

"Really?" Adrian asked. "When?"

"My whole career," Mathias said without humour.

"You're really comparing the Captain to that?" Adrian asked.

"Hope it's a fair comparison. Otherwise, we're dead." Mathias replied simply. "Keep her alive, Lieutenant. No matter the cost."

"Sir!" Adrian said, saluting smartly. He turned away and started towards the nearest Valkyrie. "Is that flame-bitten gun loaded yet?"

Mathias stepped away, leaving Tabitha at the centre of the deck, staring almost hungrily at the Dragon. She wouldn't notice it, but despite the fierce winds this far above the City, her heat haze held the air around the ship completely still. Around Tabitha's form, flecks of fire seemed to flash near her, and her hair was a haze of red.

Mathias was surprised to find the sight comforting.

Mathias stopped at the ammo chests and pocketed a pouch of Salamander rounds. As he returned to his Crafter, he held the pouch out and offered it to her. "You might need these."

She nodded in thanks and started dropping them into the various pockets of her rust-red coat. "Our opening move will be the broadside. If that fails, I'll do my best to defend the ship while we hammer it with the Valkyries. If we can't kill it with incendiary-shot, we may still ground it."

"Not a terrible plan," Mathias said.

"But it feels inadequate," Tabitha said, voicing his unspoken concern.

The Dragon was closer now, close enough to see the shape of the immense creature as it ripped its way through the air.

Mathias drew his spyglass and took a closer look.

"Fires below," Mathias whispered, in awe. Swirling currents of flame, like a whirlpool of molten metal, burned where flesh and bone should have been. Its limbs, wings, and even the teeth in the massive creature's mouth were thick masses of fire, congealed in a terrifying imitation of a living creature. Only the eyes were different, bright white beacons with a gaze fixed on the ship it hurled itself towards.

"Six years, and I've never heard you swear," Tabitha said beside him, with a smirk in her voice.

"Yes, you have," Mathias replied, calmer than he felt. "Just a few hours ago, when I lost my coffee."

"I missed that," Tabitha said, wistfully. Both of them glanced around, and Mathias saw the fear in the dozens of faces that now looked to this spent Crafter for their courage.

He knew he would never forget what she did next, as nearly every eye on the ship watched her. She took in their regard, their fear and faith, turned to the Dragon and smirked dismissively. "Fine, enough small talk," she said to Mathias, but loudly enough for everyone aboard to hear. "We have a Dragon to kill."

The crew didn't cheer; the oncoming monstrosity did not allow such bravado, but as they turned back to the Dragon, and set themselves to their tasks, they looked ready to fight.

Mathias glanced back to Tabitha and noted the tremor in the fingers in her hand, the clenched jaw, and the deliberately slow breathing. He wondered, for a moment, where she found that courage.

The Dragon was closer now; each flame was mesmerizing as the billows swirled beneath its wings and the crushing howl of exploding fires hammered at Mathias' lungs.

"Valkyries loaded and set! Converging at zero degrees from bow, three-hundred feet starboard!" Lieutenant Keates shouted, as gunnery crews tested their igniters and stood at the ready. Mathias nodded, pleased, as the engineering crew scattered to the far side of the deck.