"You can't just make someone learn something! Remember the Chinese proverb 'Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me, and I'll understand.' We have to try and find a way to get these students interested in what we're teaching."

"I don't have to do anything. It's my school, and I'll implement whatever policies I wish in order to lead it in the proper direction. Do I make myself clear?"

There was silence. Both men had remained in their seats, staring each other down as their voices grew louder and louder. Now, though, Iruka had nothing to say – he was trapped. In the end, it was Danzo's decision. "I understand, sir."

"Good. Before we get the students' grades up, however, I'll have to make some cuts in the budget – the government won't give us any extra money for the time being," Danzo continued calmly as he picked up some papers from his desk. "Which brings me to why I called you down here. As of today, you are no longer a teacher at Mizu Middle School."

Iruka was stunned. He felt his blood run cold as Danzo smirked. "You mean... I'm fired?"

"Fired? No – you've done a great job. The fact of the matter is, though, that we can't afford to have so many different English classes. We'll be combining the remedial English students with the normal-paced students."

"But... it's the beginning of the school year. Where am I going to find another job now?"

"That's not my problem, Iruka. Now, you have today to pack up anything you might have in the school and vacate the premises," Danzo said, stapling two papers together forcefully.

Iruka rose, his heart pounding in his chest. What was he going to do? How could he possibly pay for Naruto's schooling now? What about the rent? They were barely getting by as things were... and now he didn't even have a job? It wasn't fair! Just before stepping out the door, the former teacher turned to glare at his boss. "You know, Principal Sarutobi would never have allowed this."

"Oh, I'm sure. Good day, Iruka."

With that, Iruka stepped out of the office, tears of frustration in his eyes. What was he going to tell Naruto?

xxxxx

Sasuke sat at the lunch table that day, feeling strangely uncomfortable. For the past two days he had noticed that something was off, but he couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. Naruto hadn't been nearly as talkative, and whenever he met the Uchiha's eyes, he just looked away, almost as if he was ashamed of something.

Is it what we did in the shower the other day? I didn't picture Naruto as the bashful type... no, there must be something else...

Not only did Naruto have to have another reason for acting so strangely, but Sasuke knew, somehow, that his boyfriend's behavior was not the only thing bothering him. There was something else, as well – something at their table. Kiba was acting like his usual self, shouting unnecessarily loudly and trying to bite off half a hamburger at once. Choji seemed to be the same too, just quietly munching away on his chips. Shikamaru was avoiding Gaara, obviously – they were sitting on opposite ends of the table, and the Nara turned a deep shade of red whenever he met the other's gaze. Gaara wasn't acting so normal himself – he'd opted to sit on the other side of the table, leaving Sasuke and Naruto to themselves. Instead, the redhead was wedged between Kiba and Lee. It was too strange and sudden a change to be a coincidence.

Okay, Shikamaru's bothered by Gaara because of what happened with Temari – that much is obvious. But Gaara... why would he leave Naruto all of a sudden? Something must've happened between them – that's why Naruto's been acting so strangely. Did Gaara make a move when I had my guard down? Did he threaten to blackmail Naruto or something? That bastard... if he does anything to hurt him, so help me...