Kakashi's hidden smile widened. "I see. Very good, Sasuke. I want you to think about that now – all of you, that is – while I hand back your papers."

Sasuke froze as the mysterious teacher began to circle the room with his stack of graded essays. Regardless of what Kakashi said, that message had been solely for the Uchiha. Why? What did Kakashi see in this poem that was so meaningful for Sasuke?

Does he think that I've been ignoring hope all this time or something? That's too corny, even for him. I'll admit that I gave up on forming meaningful relationships with people, but that's not a loss of hope – that's a fear of loss. Unless...

Unless maybe my hope was shaken when my parents died. That was a traumatic experience – it changed me at the very least – but... no. That doesn't sound like Kakashi. No, I think it's something else. The bird isn't hope – it's him. It's Kakashi, Shikamaru, O... Naruto – all those people who stuck with me, even while I tried to brush them off. That's what he wants me to understand – that he doesn't expect anything in return for his kindness. It's enough for him just to see me happy.

It was cheesy – really cheesy – but Sasuke was sure that was the reason Kakashi decided to read that poem on that particular day. Sasuke hadn't given up hope – he'd given up his friendships. But they'd never left him – they must've felt like it was hopeless at times, but they persevered. And now Sasuke was with Naruto – it felt so strange, yet so natural and right at the same time.

I was the sore storm – I was injured, and I tried to hurt those around me, the ones that truly cared for me. But... they never left me. I've... I've really been a terrible friend, haven't I?

"Sasuke? Daydreaming again, are we?"

Again, the Uchiha raised his head off his desk to find Kakashi standing before him, dangling a graded essay in front of Sasuke's face. Without so much as a word, Sasuke snatched the paper out of Kakashi's hands and threw it into his backpack, pretending not to care about his grade – after all, he still had to keep up appearances, lest his fanclub discover that something was amiss. Thus, it was only after Kakashi had walked away chuckling to himself that the Uchiha dared to pull the crinkled paper from his bag, just to glance at the grade on the back page.

An 'A.' That's a relief...

That was all he needed to see. Although there were numerous comments in red ink left by Kakashi for him to read over, Sasuke knew those could wait for another time. Somehow, that grade washed away all of the raven-haired teen's doubt. It was almost as if Kakashi had given Sasuke his blessing with that simple 'A,' telling him that this was right. Even though it was a frightening change, having these strong feelings for Naruto, Sasuke felt that it would work out. The ocean might be fraught with storms, but there was always the hope that would see him through to happiness.

Geez, I need to go listen to some goth rock or something – this sappiness is just too much...

Of course, even as he thought this, Sasuke smiled despite himself. It was unlike him to feel this content, but that was okay. There was no reason the old Sasuke and the new Sasuke couldn't share the limelight, right?

"Psst! Hey, Sasuke!"

The Uchiha glanced to his right to find a grinning Naruto wielding his own paper in both hands. For a second, Sasuke was confused, until he noticed the bright, crimson 'A' on the bottom of the page. "Congratulations," he said with a smirk.

"You don't understand – I've never gotten an 'A' on a paper before. Ever. I don't think I've even gotten a 'B!'" Naruto exclaimed, pointing proudly at his grade as he spoke.

"You're exaggerating."

"Am not! Look, last year I spent a whole week writing this paper on The Catcher in the Rye, and I didn't even realize that I spelled Holden Caulfield's name wrong until I got it back with a big fat 'C-' on it."