XXI: Mistakes are Forbidden

Michael Stevenson

"Mikell, you hungry?" I asked my son.

He nodded his head yes.

"Aight, Daddy cooked some fire shrimp alfredo." I turned the burner off to let the food cool. "Your brothers still sleep?"

"Yes," he responded to me.

"Alright lil man.. We going to eat first then get ready to go see Mommy."

Kaelynn accepted the job and we found her an apartment that she liked. During the week she was in San Antonio and on the weekend, she was here in Carson. Every other week, she was off, but other than that I only saw her on the weekends.

This weekend I was taking the boys to San Antonio with Kaelynn because me and my team were finally going to the DR.

Once the shrimp alfredo cooled down, I fixed Mikell some in a little bowl. I figured he would eat it with his hands, so I didn't even bother to get a fork.

I put the bowl under a clean blanket on the living floor in front of the tv and let him sit there.

Caeden and Isaiah were 3 months and they were big as ever. Both of them were still sleep.

I fixed myself a bowl of alfredo and sat down on the couch to eat. Kaelynn called and I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe," She sounded like she had just gotten up.

"Goodmorning."

"Morning. Everybody up?"

"The twins still sleeping, but Kell up." I fed my face.

"What time are you leaving the house?"

"Our flight is at 10, it'll be two hours."

"Well, it's already 10 over here. Call me when you get here."

"Aight, I will baby."

"K, I love you."

"Love you too."

"Bye."

I ended the call and continued to eat my food. After I was done, I got Mikell cleaned up and dressed.

I put him in the room with me while I got Caeden and Isaiah clean and dressed and fed them.

I dressed like I felt: tired. I had on a pair of black baggy sweats, a red tshirt that had Run DMC across it, and a pair of black and red Breds.

After all, I was raising three boys all by myself, basically. Of course I was tired.

I got their bags packed full of clothes, toys, and food. I was leaving sooner than I thought I would.

I put two backpacks on my shoulder and put my keys in Caeden's car seat.

"Aye 'Kell, get yo bag and let's go."

He followed my instructions and with that, I was out of the house into the garage. I put Caeden and Isaiah in the Escalade first, then put Mikell in. I got the keys and got inside of the truck.

I started it up and backed out of the garage making sure it closed before I left.

On the highway, I made another call, but to Trell this time.

"Yo, Trelly!"

"What's good son?" he greeted me.

"On my way to San Antonio, finna drop the kids off with Kaelynn."