"You aren't sure if the magic is working on them, correct?" Nikkolai asked.

"I wouldn't underestimate my rebellious daughter's talents," Michael Noble snapped, "she was ranked top of her class before her death."

"Yes, sir but wasn't her mind damaged upon reuniting her with her body?" Nikkolai questioned.

"I would rather play it safe than sorry. With Harvey Emrys dead, you are ranked the number one Mentalist in the world," Michael praised, "the Sorceress can't even match your strength."

Nikkolai nodded his head in agreement. She didn't match his strength in mentalist magic. Her abilities and sheer raw talent had been powerful but he doubted even with training that she would have ever even come close to matching him. Plus, her moral compass was to strong to willfully take captivity of the mind's of others.

At least his task wouldn't be too bad being holed up with the Noble's prisoners. Luke and he had been good friends as young boys and Anna had always been nice to him as a child, even after his brother's death. They would meet him with distrust at first, but he was certain they would soon be back to childhood friends after a few short days of tension.

"Sir, who's key did this belong to?" Nikkolai asked.

"Why the other Fitzgerald boy," Michael Noble grinned, "it was fun getting it out of him."

Nikkolai smirked as he examined the key in his hands. Next to Derek, Devan was probably the second most person he hated. It was all his fault for not stopping his own brother when he had the chance all those years ago, instead walking away letting the little tyrant throw the temper tantrum that cost his own elder brother his life.

"What are you going to do with Devan? I hope it involves torture," Nikkolai grinned.

"As Council head, I have to hold a trial casting him out as a traitor. Trust me, he will face much pain in the dungeons while awaiting his trial."

Nikkolai chuckled, imagining all the torturous things that could befall the man. He would gladly accept being tasked with Devan's removed gate key. It would make the final showdown with Derek that much more wonderful to see once he realized his position cost Devan his life.

"How soon do you need me by your son's side?" Nikkolai question.

"After this!" Michael Noble replied lifting his wand to the boy's chest. 

Nikkolai's screams echoed through the building as the golden key was ripped from his hands plunging deep into his chest. He bent over, gasping for breathe as he glared at Michael Noble before apparating out of the room. Before going to his assignment, he had an old friend he needed to visit to release some frustration on.

~~~~~

The soft sounds of dripping awoke Devan, a shiver running down his spine from the cold chill in the air and the damp stones surrounding him. Every inch of his body ached as he studied the fractured ribs, tracing the bruises along his skin from the ambush. He was only performing his tasks as a gatekeeper, but as soon as Michael Noble took over, the stupid man didn't take long to arrest him solely based on the fact his younger brother was such a big key to the Resistance. 

Hell, he couldn't help the idiot decided to destroy a very important Cathedral when he took down the first gate. He wasn't even on good ties with Derek, not talking to him since the boy was an eight grader but now the idiot had gotten him thrown into the dungeons, while the Council's lackies kicked and punched him as they pleased.

Devan chuckled as he studied the stones around him. They must really be stupid placing him in his own element, earth. He always had a natural knack for Earth magic,inheriting it from his deceased mother. Any rock, he could move to his will. Soon, he would be free.