Chapter One | Teikō

Elliot: Okay so tbh I had the prologue written a while ago but I forgot to send it so here's the first chapter that I finished a few days ago! It spans from Kuroko's first day at Teikō to his first day at Seirin. Sorry if it's confusing but I didn't want it to take up more than a chapter. From the next chapter, we'll be going from his second year at Seirin. Hope you enjoy!

Teikō middle school was bigger than Kuroko had expected

Teikō middle school was bigger than Kuroko had expected. He had been sick on the open day, so his parents had gone without him.

His father came back singing praises about the basketball team, and his mother about the academic records and teachers.

He walked through the campus with a book in hand. The campus map was hidden in the pages. He didn't want to approach anyone to ask them for help finding his way around, but he didn't want to get lost on the way to assembly or his first class.

He glanced towards the stalls advertising different clubs.

Basketball, basketball.

Nothing.

"Wait. What's that mean?"

Kuroko grimaced as his shoulder bumped with someone's. Neither of them had been paying attention – he had been looking somewhere else, and the other boy had been arguing with someone.

"Excuse me," Kuroko muttered before adjusting his bag strap and continuing through the crowd. He didn't pause to wait for a reaction. Reactions weren't good at the moment.

He dodged the book club as the person behind him carrying a phone book was asked to join. He wasn't noticed.

Crowds were gathered around two people as he walked – one a dark haired giant, and one a blonde model.

Kuroko stopped at a small break in the crowd and switched pages. He kept the map folded in the middle of the book, but he took another page out of his pocket.

It was small – torn out of a notebook, probably. His mother didn't exactly approve of Shigehiro.

The writing was scribbled and there was a tiny drawing of a basketball in the corner.

Let's do our best so we can get game time real soon to fulfil our promise!

"Basketball! Please join the basketball team!"

He looked up. The table was flocked with students. Slowly, he made his way over. He pretended to be interested in the manga club for a moment or two until the crowd died down a bit – he wasn't noticed.

When there were only two people left, he made his way over.

"Excuse me?" A grinning boy looked up. "Can I join?"

The boy's grin faltered as he looked at Kuroko. "Sorry, this is the boys' basketball team."

Kuroko tugged on the strap of his bag. His ears burned as he tried to ignore the other two signing up – he could feel their stares on him.