Deductive Reasoning

The weeks approaching Christmas quickly passed and I suddenly found myself on Christmas Eve with no shopping done. I wasn’t allowed to leave my apartment, much less campus. I was starting to get cabin fever and my family was beginning to realize that. I hadn’t seen Aidan since the day he’d walked me home and part of me was starting to worry.

I was alone in my room that night, Luke had stayed up with me as long as he could but eventually went to bed. Guardians needed sleep too. Michael was scarce since my speech after the intervention and he kept his mind closed off from mine.

I pulled back the curtain and looked out. It hadn’t snowed in days but since there was barely anyone on campus…the snow remained piled high in some spots but nonexistent where the sun had touched it in others.

I looked across the quad at the numerous dark buildings. There were a few lights on in the dorms but most of them were dark. The one that concerned me was lit. The shade was drawn halfway, the top half closed. He’d put his curtains back up after moving in.

I grabbed my phone from my desk. I’d never sent Aidan a text after getting my new number but I’d kept his programmed into my phone’s memory. I crossed my fingers, hoping he hadn’t changed his number and sent him a text.

What are you doing?

I didn’t get a reply for a few minutes and I was starting to think he had changed his number when I got a reply.

Who is this?

Guess. I sent back.

A few more minutes passed. I don’t know.

No wonder you failed English when we were kids. You don’t have very good deductive reasoning.

I watched as the curtain was drawn back and Aidan looked out. I gave him a wave. Then my phone rang.

“What are you doing?” I asked as a greeting.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing. What are you doing?”

“What do you think? Same as you.”

He laughed. “They’re keeping you locked up aren’t they?”

“I haven’t even done Christmas shopping.”

“Christmas is tomorrow, Ana. You know that right?”

“I know. Are you coming to the Christmas party?”

“I was strongly advised against it.”

“By who?”

“Your father.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m the one who messed up not you.”

“And yet they’re punishing us both.”

“That’s how it works, Vertigo. Didn’t you know?”

I chuckled. “Yes I did. What are you doing for Christmas?”

“I’m supposed to go see my parents in New York.”

“Are you going to go?”

“Don’t really have any other options.”

“When are you coming back, assuming you are?”

“I’m coming back. I’ll be back after New Year’s.”

“Wow. A whole week in New York. What are you going to do?”

“Miss you, like always.”

I smiled and looked down. “You can’t miss me all the time.”

“How do you know?”