Chapter 3: 'Just Friends'

I had gotten my Starbucks and was driving down the street. I passed by a figure walking slowly that looked strangely familiar. I realized quickly it was Harry. I pulled over and rolled down my window.

"Hey what are you doing in the rain?" I called for him. He stopped walking and faced the car.

"No thanks," he said silently.

"Well I wasn't offering a ride but if I was why not?" I said back confused.

"Because I want to be alone right now." The wind blew in the window carrying the rain with it.

"Harry get in the car or you'll get sick," I demanded.

"No Charlie I'm serious I just want to be alone right now." He was wearing a small jacket and the hood was pulled over his head shadowing his face.

"Got damn it Harry! Get in this got damn car!" I lost my temper. I don't know why I was being so persistent.

He let out a frustrated breath and opened the door. He sat inside and slammed the door shut. He pulled off his hood revealing a huge bruise around his eye.

My mouth dropped open but no sound came out. "Are fucking happy now?" He sounded with anger.

"Harry what happened?" I asked. I could see his fists were still clenched. His knuckles were almost white. He punched my dash board twice. I jumped a little. When he was done letting out his frustrations he buried his face in his hands.

I could here small sobs coming from his hands. I wasn't sure what to do. I started the car and drove back to my house. I didn't speak at all. I knew Harry needed the time to collect himself.

I parked in my parking spot looked at Harry. "I got robbed." I turned to face him and he was looking out the window. "I um I was walking down the street and two guys pulled me into an ally jumped me then took my money. I fought back but they had a gun."

"Harry.." I didn't know what else to say. I grabbed his hand and he looked at me.

"Where are we?" He asked a little confused.

"Oh um we're at my house. I didn't know where else to go. Sorry," I said sheepishly.

"It's ok, I've never been to your house," he said then got out the car. I got out too and walked up to my pint house. I opened the door and he walked inside.

"Have a seat. Um I would offer coffee but my machine broke. So um tea?" I asked walking into the kitchen. I dropped my keys on the counter and watched as Harry took a seat on my couch.

"Sure thanks," he said sounding really distant. I knew he was still processing everything. I started the water for the tea and walked to my room. I took off my sweater and beanie.

I pulled my hair back into a pony tail and grabbed a book. I put the book on my chair in my living room and went back to the kitchen. I made our teas and handed one to him.

"Thanks." He said and took a sip.

I sat on my chair and started reading my book. It was silent for a long minute. "I read all your books," Harry spoke out of nowhere.

"All of three?" I asked back sarcastically.

"Yea my favorite was The Loneliness of Crows. You wrote it with such a vulnerability, I just felt like I found out something if the smallest thing, I got to know you better," he said. I stared down at my tea trying to hide my burning cheeks.

"I wrote it after my mom died. I couldn't really do anything but think about the words that belonged on the page," I said. I was staring into my tea cup. I looked up and saw him staring not at me but through me. "What?" I asked after the staring was to much to bare.

"I don't know. This just feels like the first real conversation we've ever had." He half smiled. His green eyes were so strong I was sucked into them. "So why not?" He asked. I was snapped out of his gaze.

"Why not what?" I asked confused.

"Why not give me a chance huh? I think I'm a pretty descent guy."

"I don't know I'm just..."

"Afraid to let me in. You're afraid of something so unstable and unpredictable. I can almost promise you that's it. That's how scared I felt when I started working in this field."

"Can we just be friends Harry? I really just need a friend right now."

His face almost looked disappointed. Then the disappointment vanished. "Ok sure. We can be friends."

"Yay!" I said in fake excitement.

"So what do you want to do today? It's pouring rain and I'm not driving again," I said honestly.

"Well I guess, do you have any good films?" He asked.

"Puh! Do I have any good films? Are you ridiculous? I have the best films," I explained. I jumped up and walked over to the small closet I had under the Tv. I opened it revealing twelve shelves full of Dvds.

"Take your choice Mr. Styles and let's get this party started right."

So we watched movie after movie after movie. It was like being with a best friend. I popped popcorn and made hot coco. We eventually ordered food and when we finally found track of time it was almost ten o'clock.

The credits to Pulp Fiction were playing. "Oh Mr. Styles I feel as though it is time for you to go home," I say getting from underneath the blanket we were both laying in.

"But Charlie I'm so comfortable."

"Don't you, you know work?" I asked, "like aren't you on tour?"

"Yea but we came to California early so we could get a short break."

"Get up I'll drive you home." We both stood up and walked towards my door. "You know being friends with you just might work."

"And you thought you weren't into the whole rock star thing," he said as we walked out of my home. I rolled my eyes and turned out the lights.

Maybe I was..