listening to you

I woke up to a loud buzz in my ear. It was you, you had text me telling me that you wanted to take up that offer of exploring the city.

I was feeling groggy and my head was spinning because after we parted yesterday, my mother told me some bad news, so I drank it all away and now I was experiencing the repercussions. There was no way I could say no to you though, I was too enamoured.

I then proceeded to text you, telling you to meet me at then coffee shop we were in yesterday at 1pm. This gave me time to reign my hangover in. I didn't want to be moody and irritable when I met you, I didn't want to push you away.

So I took a long shower, washing the filth and alcohol from my body and brushed my teeth attempting to mask the smell of vodka. I felt sick and I had to drink a glass of water and I downed two ibuprofen.

You couldn't take pills, you couldn't swallow them. I remember nursing you back to health with extra strength Calpol and green tea whenever you got sick.

My eyes were bleary and stung, so I shoved on my glasses to clear my eyes. I hated my glasses. I felt they made me look like such a twat. But you loved them and that made me grow to love them. Oh you had such a hold over me, made me weak at the knees and worship your presence.

I ruffled my hair, styling it as I couldn't be arsed to find a comb and brush it. I looked at the clock and realised I had a while until I should leave to meet you, so I turned the telly on and flicked to the news. There wasn't any major scandal or heart wrenching disaster, it was just politicians slagging each other off. Nothing new or special.

Time ticked slowly, but soon it was quarter to one. The coffee shop was a ten minute walk, which meant I had enough time to find a seat and buy you an Earl Grey tea.

I walked briskly, wanting to be there before you, so I could see your beautiful face as you walked in. Foliage danced past me and the pavement glided under my feet, and then the coffee shop came into view.

The door jingled as I opened it and I was hit with the aroma of fresh pastries and coffee. I saw two free seats, in the corner of the room, under a Miró painting. I ordered you an Earl Grey tea and another vegan muffin, this time it was a lemon drizzle, and myself an americano. I showed them where we would be sitting and muttered my thanks.

I sat down in the chair against the wall, and pulled out a battered copy of The fellowship of the ring. I had read the book many times and my love for it only grew and grew.

I heard the high tingling of the bell and my head snapped up, I was drawn from the land of elves, dwarves and dragons and sucked into the land of you.

Your caramel hair was pulled into a messy bun, sunglasses perched on your head, a wide smile painted on your face. You were wearing black Levi jeans and a black tank top with an oversized grey cardigan. Your outfit was very dark, but that smile attracted all the light you needed. A string necklace was tied around your neck and silver bracelets adorned your wrists.

'Hi,' you breathed.

'Hey, how are you today, I have ordered drinks so sit down.'

You fell into the seat and dropped your bag on the floor.

'Oh you are such a sweetheart, you ordered me an Earl Grey right? Oh I almost got lost on the way here, I'm glad you can give me the tour today,' you giggled softly.

'Yeah don't worry, I remembered. I also bought you a vegan muffin, I know you don't like eggs,'

'That is so kind, aw you're so kind. You weren't wearing glasses yesterday were you? Well I like them, I think you look smart and sexy,' you winked at me.

My heart fluttered in my chest. No one had said that before, they all laughed at me and said I looked like a nerd. A nervous laugh escaped my mouth, I didn't know how to reply.

'Erm thanks erm yeah, thank you,' I stuttered.

A kind bubbly laugh came from your throat.

'Oh you're welcome, you know, I am one to speak my mind and my mind says you look nice, very nice indeed'

Then the waitress came over and placed our drinks and your muffin down onto the small coffee table placed between our seats.

You took a sip of your tea and smiled to yourself. Watching you move and act was so ethereal, it was like watching the music video for Ultraviolence. I watched how every time you put the cup up to your lips, your eyes would light up with joy. I watched how every minute or so you would tuck a stray hair behind your left ear. I watched how your eyes closed with delight as you took a bite out of the vegan muffin I bought you.

'So tell me about your family,' you asked.

'Well I am a twin,' I told you, 'But I'm the crap twin, the underachiever, she got into Edinburgh for medicine,'

'Oh wow, that's pretty hard to beat, I mean my father is a neurosurgeon and he wanted me to head down the medicine route but I told him to suck it,'

'I can't image he was very impressed with that,'

'No he wasn't, he grounded me for a week and told me to seriously consider my options,'

'My father never gave a shit about me, I was simply his toy you know, made me do football to show off to his mates at work. So when I told him I hated football and art was my calling, he locked me in my room and called me a sissy bitch,' I explained to you.

'Oh wow, your father sounds like a right idiot,' you replied whilst taking another bite.

I stared at you, all these unknown feelings swirling in my head.

'Right erm, I'm just going to go ahead and ask this, can I paint you?' I asked with apprehension.

'You want to paint me?'

'I would love to paint you, you are my muse, you inspire me,'

A look of adoration passed across your face, a small smirk appeared and your emerald eyes lit up.

'Oh wow, yeah sure why not, but let me warn you, I cannot sit still for very long,'

I believed that. You were very excitable, and the beauty of the world made you want to explore.