meeting you

I remember when I first saw you. I was sitting in a coffee shop sipping a skinny latte with a double shot, when you walked in. It was like I was living in black and white before and then you melted lilacs and oranges and emeralds into my life. I knew I loved you straight away, just like those Disney movies you always went on about. I didn't believe in love at first sight before you, you changed my life in so many ways, but I'll tell you about that later.

I was drawing. I have an unquenchable thirst for sketching the beauty in life, but you know this. Your dark caramel hair was swept into a messy ponytail and your tongue was sticking out of your scarlet mouth in concentration. A creased map of the city was in your hand. A small smile crept onto my face; you were lost in an unknown town. I wanted to greet you, but thought that I should observe your beauty and presence before making my debut.

I sipped my coffee, the burnt and bitter taste overpowering my mouth, watching you as you brushed a stray hair away from the corner of your eyes. I couldn't see the exact colour and depth of your eyes from where I sat, but I knew that they would show me your soul. And so I plucked up the courage to ask you your name.

'Hey, are you alright you look a little lost'

'Oh erm hi, yeah I'm new here and I don't really know where I am' , your voice a soft melody.

'Well I can show you around if you like, maybe even buy you a drink?'

'Oh are you sure, I mean it would be so great to be shown around and a drink, erm wow, yeah erm you know Earl Grey tea is my favourite' , you stumbled slightly.

We exchanged numbers and told each other our names. I love your name, it was a perfect name for a kindred spirit like you, so exotic compared to mine. My name is boring.

I bought you an Earl Grey tea and a vegan blueberry muffin, then you told me all about your vendetta against chicken eggs and how they made you gag if you thought too hard about them. It made me chuckle and a rosy blush spread across your pale face like a wildfire.

Now I could see your soul. Your eyes a beautiful forest green with the odd twinge of aqua and specks of a honey gold. I was right, your eyes were beautiful, so pure and captivating. In fact your whole face was artwork, sculpted by angels.

Long dark eyelashes and thick brows framed your face, your cheekbones sharp yet they held an acute softness, and your lips, oh your lips, a natural plump pout the colour of a dark rose. And when you smiled the whole world was lit up, by the kindness and love it projected.

We chatted about our lives. I learnt you had come from London and you were trying to escape the claws of the beautiful yet chaotic city. I asked why you had come here, out of everywhere, and you told me it was because the history and quaintness appealed to you, lured you in leaving you hungry for an adventure. I told you I love exploring and impromptu adventures, and how The hobbit and Bilbo Baggins' tale was an inspiration for me. You giggled at that, a adorable sweet lullaby, it was music to my ears. I explained how Tolkien's world of Middle Earth had shaped the way I draw and paint and you smiled saying that only clever people can read The Lord of the Rings because of all the ambitious and confusing vocabulary. 

You told me that your mother was worried about your choice to move out of London, but your father was impassive about the whole ordeal. You said he didn't care anymore as you had disappointed him immensely. I found out what you did at a later date, as I felt that grilling you for sensitive information wasn't the best idea when you hardly knew me.

You informed me, with a smile and a joyous tone in your voice, of all your favourite things in this world, and to this day I can remember them all.

~kettle chips (salted)
~Earl Grey tea
~Picasso
~Tchaikovsky
~forests
~cacti
~sushi
~theatre
~clear lipgloss

The more I learnt about you, the further I fell. We both liked art, epic literature and hot beverages. We both disliked slow walkers, tuna and Diet Coke. I was so at ease with you, I could be myself and that was good. That was really good.

You told me you had graduated from Oxford and achieved your masters in English Literature, you wanted to be an author so it figures. I also learnt from this that your family was well off, I mean living in London should have given it away, but I was so mesmerised by your beauty, the thought didn't even occur. You asked me what I studied at university and I told you that I did an Art and Art History degree at the local university college, nothing fancy or prestigious like yours. 

You looked at your watch. Three hours had passed, but to me it felt like I had known you for years, that we had a deep connection between us. You then explained that you had to leave, you needed to check into to the hotel you were staying at.

You grabbed me and pulled me into a quick hug, muttering 'thank you' into my ear.

'Can we meet tomorrow, for your tour of the city?' I asked.

'Maybe, I'll give you a text if I can.' You replied smiling softly.

Then you gave me a smile and walked out of the coffee shop, taking my heart with you.