Chapter Eight~ DIY: Break-ins That Won't Break your Budget

"She was useless!" Abigail complained as we headed to the nearest drugstore. We were going to break into City hall, and needed the best supplies $37. 06 could buy.

"Yeah," I admitted, "But  at least we know where to find my Clock."

I had long ago gotten used to Abby's short temper, and was starting to see her sarcasm as flattering. She had always been a sarcastic person since I had met her in sixth grade, but I had noticed that she became more so when she was worried or stressed.
I couldn't remember a time her tone had been so bitingly sarcastic.

"True," She consented as we arrived.

In the store, honors student Abby was a math wiz, and an organization master. She knew exactly what to get and how much it would coast. Abby figured out how to stretch our minimal budget as far as possible, without going over, even mentally figuring the tax.

I rushed around while she barked at me about brands and clearance, grabbing this and that, and having no clue how she expected to use it for a break in.

"We need that," she explained, snatching a bottle of baby power. "Saw it in a movie."

Abigail had vetoed going home for supplies, for fear of my parents getting suspicious, and my lying skills.

she said no to going to her house as well, since her parents thought she was spending the night with one of her friends.

We had to make due with what we had.
We left the convenience store with protein bars, gloves, two masks (Abigail spent a long time examining them), baby powder, and some strange glances from the cashier.

"Abby?" I asked once we were out of the parking lot. "Why exactly do we need this crap?"

Abby smirked at me, "I'm glad you asked, my partner in crime! Protein bars because I'm hungry. Masks so no one can see our faces. Duh. Baby power in case there's laser sensors."

"Lasers. Really?" I snorted.

"You can never be too careful. Gloves so we can't leave prints, and hair." Abigail held up a ziplock baggy with several black strands. "I got them from the masks. They don't look anything like our hairs so I figured they might lead the cops astray."

"Cops!" I almost gasped.

"Well yeah, dummy!" Abigail replied exasperated. "We're planning on breaking, entering, and theft. What do you expect?"

"And you're cool with this?" I asked skeptically.

"No," Abigail admitted, "But I don't have a choice."

"Yes, you do," I replied. "You don't have to do this."

"Yeah, I do." Abigail insisted, then smirked, "If you died who would I tease about their dorkiness? Besides, it's not like you have a chance to pull this off without me."

I laughed at this. It felt good. For a moment I could imagine us back in middle school.
Some jerk had pushed me against the lockers and made me late to class.

I, being so mature, had sat there feeling sorry for myself until Abby walked by.

She was the hall monitor so I expected her to help me up and do something about the jerk.

Abigail had looked me over really hard and sighed. "Get off your sorry donkey's butt and get to class."

This had made me smile, but didn't want her to know that. I wasn't done feeling sorry for myself and had wanted sympathy from Abby. I buried my head in my knees.

"Up!" She had demanded.

I had stood muttering,"You're such a jerk."
and not intending her to hear me.

She had.

Abigail folded her arms over her chest, cocked her head and grinned, showing off her hot pink braces, "Yeah, I am! and don't you forget it!" 

I missed those days, when the hardest this was being late, not fighting for my life. I didn't know where they had gone, but all I wanted was to get them back.

Something told me that stopping my Clock wouldn't be enough.